Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Small observatory in my garden

Robp

Hi all,
I have been given the green light for a permanent setup in the garden :icon_biggrin:

I've started this thread mainly for help as I'm starting from the beginning and this isn't something I have attempted before so will definitely need some help along the way.

The main reasons for wanting a permanent setup are:

It will drastically reduce the time it takes to setup my imaging gear
I will be able to take advantage of small windows of clear skies
I will be able to permanently tweak the setup with improvements

It will be for a HEQ5 with my WO star 71 on top. My plans are to upgrade to a NEQ6 and have dual mounted scopes but this is thinking a few years down the line. My initial budget for the build is around £500

I will be planting down a pier and the size of observatory will depend on the location I choose to place the pier. It will likely be a small building that houses just the rig. I will then control everything from inside in the winter and outside in the summer.

This is how my garden sits with a streetlight to the west. I usually setup on the patio directly to the rear of my house.

01.jpg

My first concern is where to place the permanent setup.

The ideal location for my imaging is bang smack in the middle of the garden. I'd maybe be able to stretch to a pier in the middle but nothing else. This would be the cheapest option but would reduce my setup time by the smallest amount as I assume I would have to keep my scope inside. This would however give me the best views to the East and West.

If I select a site by the wall to the west I will get restricted views to the west and be directly under the street light.

If I select a site by the Fence to the east I will get restricted views to the East. This may not be to bad as I get light pollution from a city and I usually wait for targets to get above it before imaging.

The amount of restriction I get will depend on how tall the pier is, how far away from the fence or walls and how high the fence or walls are. I will take some measurements and work out the different angle of restriction to make the decision easier but I think the street light position is going to force me to the East side.

On the image it looks as if you have reasonable fences around the garden. If this is the case, it might be worth considering (once, you have set up the pillar) adding some additional height in the line-os-sight of the streetlight to block out its light. I mention it now because, if you think you will want to do this, it may have a bearing on where you site the pier - it may enable you to get closer to the centre of the garden and so improve your easterly view.

Hi Demonperformer

The streetlight is a modern one and most of the light heads downwards.

The black circle is where I setup at the moment, the blue circle the no go area  from my current location because of the streetlight.

02.jpg

I think the problem is that if I move towards the center of the garden then I will only be able to place a pier so I'd still have to setup and tear down every night. If its along a boundary then I can build over the pier and it can be permanently housed. To do that I need to compromise on the sky available to me.

No need to apologise Demonperformer.

My wall and fence are about 2m high. So if my pier is around 1m high and 1m away from the fence, Ill be able to view 45 degrees as the lowest point which is quite a lot of sky to lose.

I tried to get the light shielded last December but the engineer stated that the shield required would be very big and that they don't shield streetlights as it affects the long term structural capability of a column.

Another thought I had was to try and make the structure portable so I could move it around depending on the time of year. I'd have to forgo concrete foundations for the pier so would need something suitable in its place and I'd have to route cables to any chosen location.

Could you keep your mount on the pier in the middle of the garde?

It would only take a few minutes to put your scope on the mount to start a session.

The mount woyld already be polar aligned and the balance points marked on your dovetail bar and weight bar.

I have an eq6 on a pier which has been covered for 2 years.

You can see it after the swing and before the main observatort ahed.

IMG_20160727_141547.jpg

Lovely garden, I am envious :)

Pier only is an option but it really depends on what I lose by moving to the sides of the garden.

Does it rain much at your location or do you suffer at all from Dew? Been doing a little research and this was one of the main concerns people had with covering a mount.

Archived