Local Fabricators Deliver Again.

StuartJPP

I wanted a mount holder so that I can mount my M-Zero onto my Gitzo tripod so off to the local fabricator to do the job...

The guys there are pretty easy going and like to do jobs for hobbyists and only charge £20 per hour for the privilege as long as you are not in a hurry.

They will do the job as and when, in between other jobs so there is no set-up fees. Their equipment is quite impressive with 4 large multi-axis CnC machines, 3 CNC multi-tool lathes with auto feeders and a manual lathe for the odd job...but they hardly ever use that they say...

They will do just about any material from engineering plastics to aluminium to high grades of stainless...just give them a diagram.

This item was only £10...and they provided the material. May look a bit scruffy in the photo but that is only from the camera flash...the finish on top (where it matters) is smooth as a baby's behind...

Some fabricators won't deal with the general public but there are some that do...highly recommend finding one if you want something doing.

IMG_20160917_182504.jpg

Lovely bit of machining.

Little machine shops are few and far between nowadays and most run CNC so one offs are not economical for them.

Another suggestion are hobby machinists who are great people to approach for stuff like this. Most have the time and manual capabilities to do this type of one off work and also experience to suggest other options.

There are quite a few machinists on here who will help.

Also quite a few websites out there such as The practical machinist or Model engineers workshop where a post will bring someone local to your rescue.

My old friend retired and closed his workshop last year. Such a shame and at 74years old he is still in demand for his wealth of knowledge and experience.

Further to above, I know that there is a model engineer's club not far from where I work...I am sure that they would be happy to help (with possibly a small donation to the club)...or joining the club to keep it going as a lot of them are getting on and they need to bring in young(ish) blood...though I am not at that stage of my life yet :)

Ultimately I would like to get some machine myself, but the only thing I am good at is making is swarf.

Stuart this is very useful to know these guys exist. I have a small part I need making for my scope and have been looking around for someone/anyone who would do the work. Any hints who I can contact in the Leeds area ?  Cheers, Tony

6 hours ago, Tonk said:

Stuart this is very useful to know these guys exist. I have a small part I need making for my scope and have been looking around for someone/anyone who would do the work. Any hints who I can contact in the Leeds area ?  Cheers, Tony

Hi Tonk

It maybe an idea if you could post what you are after? I could then post it on the Model Engineers website and see if anyone would be willing to help? You can always PM it across if its more suitable.

6 hours ago, Tonk said:

Tony, the place I used is called DC Precision Engineering Ltd. (http://www.dcprecisionengineering.co.uk/) Hope I am not breaking any rules listing them. Dave or Craig are the contacts. When you start digging around there are a few out there.

6 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Hi Tonk

It maybe an idea if you could post what you are after? I could then post it on the Model Engineers website and see if anyone would be willing to help? You can always PM it across if its more suitable.

That is good to know as well...

Cheers Stuart. I'm learning how to do the drawing after talking to a mate in the pub last Friday - he has parts fabricated for very high end hifi speakers his company prototypes by an outfit in Weatherby but that involved minimum orders. He going to show me how to do the drawing. I've just acquired a pair of digital calipers to get the measurements done so I'm on my way 

It will be a slow start for me ... but I'll see what I can come up with in a couple of weeks. Basically I'm wanting to mate a stepper motor to the side of a KISS focuser. That's needs a part (collar) to slide onto the KISS barrel and to have a flat face on it to allow the stepper motor to be bolted to it. It also involves gears and a pully or timing belt and I'm trying to source those from one of the numerous on-line robot kit companies.

I'll get the drawing sorted and then decide how to proceed .

I was taking to my wife about possibly finding somewhere to learn how to do small scale parts fabrication as a retirement thing (about a year way for me). These model making clubs sort of sound like the place to possible learn something about this. I do have a mini lathe inherited from my father in-law (made clocks) but I've no real idea how to use it

It is all a pretty new experience for me too, I am contemplating getting a milling machine + lathe, but I value my 10 fingers :)

I am doing pretty well with my pillar drill, belt and disc sander, Dremel and other manual tools. Working with Delrin/Acetal is so much easier than aluminium but I prefer aluminium. Every time I make something I mess something up, but I learn from it and try to improve the next time I do something...if all else fails I have prevented myself from watching TV even if I have only got some swarf to show.

I have actually got a small CNC milling machine but it is basically a toy and a real pain to use...

Archived