NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The 'Mexico' region of The North America Nebula

steppenwolf

Thanks for your comment, Martin - I am now very pleased with the M25C but it was an uphill challenge top get the results I wanted!

There is indeed some edge of field distortion and this image is slightly cropped to alleviate it. The following image is the bottom left hand corner of the FOV at the same scale as the image I originally posted - as you can see, there is some field edge distortion - I am hoping that when I have the cash, the purchase of a William Optics 0.8 III flattener will work with my ED80 but need to find someone who can categorically confirm that it will first!

mexico_corner.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look bad Steve. The trouble is to get perfect results from flatteners you have to have the spacing spot on and this is all quite a faff on a rare clear night. I've used the flattener with my ED120 but with my smaller chipped QSI 532 and it appeared to do a good job. I might have a go with a QHY8 and an ED80 on M31 but think I might need the WO spacer kit.

great image...dont u just love the north american

I have used the WO Field Flattener II with my ZS66 and 300D. The M25 chip is very similar to the SLR in terms of size, and my flattener didnt remove all the coma...in fact i was a bit disappointed.

Perhaps you'll have better luck with your 80mm

Paul

I might have a go with a QHY8 and an ED80 on M31 but think I might need the WO spacer kit.

Martin, I'd be very interested to see how you get on - please keep me posted. Is yours the V II or V III ? I have heard that placement is critical (as it is with the MPCC which, to my disappointment, didn't have any effect with my refractor - I know it is designed to correct 'coma' but edge distortion is a 'similar' problem so I had hoped for something!).

Thanks for your comments, narrowbandpaul, Whippy and Steelrat - I'm delighted you like my image ...

no worries Steppenwolf,

the M25 seems like a good chip. in fact orion (usa) are using that chip in their new camera. They are retailing for £950, which may smart in the eyes of starlight xpress owners

Anyway youve got a powerful camera there so we can expect more great images soon...if it clears

Best Wishes

Paul

the M25 seems like a good chip. in fact orion (usa) are using that chip in their new camera. They are retailing for £950, which may smart in the eyes of starlight xpress owners

Hi Paul, it must smart even more for those who bought before this year's Astrofest at £3995.00!! However, all is not exactly as it seems as the sensor chip used in the Orion product (Sony ICX413AQ SuperHAD) is NOT the same one as used by Starlight Xpress (SX use the Sony ICX453AQ SuperHAD), the latter being more sensitive. In addition, the ICX413AQ uses 'interlaced scanning' whereas the ICX453AQ uses 'progressive scanning', the latter being the most desirable type apparently, although I have to confess that I am not sure why this is the case!

I have been watching the Orion development with some interest but despite how well it may perform in comparison with the M25C, you'd still have to live with that 6" circular case :D . For me, the M25C was a once in a lifetime gift from my very supportive wife but the much lower price of the Orion Starshoot Pro does make you think, doesn't it?

It does mean it not as long and may provide greater clearance for people with a fork mounted telescope when pointing at or near the zenith.

Very true, Kevin but be fair, I've got to build up a good case to justify the M25C over the Orion :D :D :D

i found it very hard to find the name of chip when i checked orions site. I got the name from another site, maybe i got it wrong. The chips are similar though. Yeah. i'll bet it does hurt that price, but in terms of build quality the starlight wins everytime., and I would chose starlight over orion.

in terms over progressive scan rather then interlaced...im not sure either...i'll do some research

or ask richard crisp, i guarantee he'll know

Paul

from my 2 mins research...

interlaced scanmning involves reading the even rows of the CCD first and then reading the odd rows. As the CCD is being read twice, there would be twice the read noise, twice the download time.

Progressive scan involves reading the CCD in order, row 1,2,3...the ccd is only being read once so only one bout of read noise

i think thats it...

paul

I've got the V3 flattener.

Excellent, I'd be really interested to see how you get on with it.

Progressive scan involves reading the CCD in order, row 1,2,3...the ccd is only being read once so only one bout of read noiseProgressive scan involves reading the CCD in order, row 1,2,3...the ccd is only being read once so only one bout of read noise

This makes sense, Paul - thanks.

interlaced scanmning involves reading the even rows of the CCD first and then reading the odd rows. As the CCD is being read twice, there would be twice the read noise, twice the download time.

AFAIK, whilst your reading the chip twice with an interlaced chip, you're still only reading the whole chip once and the noise isn't increased.

Tony..

Here is a field flatness 3D plot using CCD inspector taken from an image of M16. It's an ED120 rather than an ED80 and it is with my QSI 532. This has a smaller chip than the M25 being 10x14.9 mm but the long axis of the QSI isn't far off the short axis of the M25

I think it's a pretty good result. Obviously wont look quite so good with the M25. I haven't used the ED120 without the flattener with either of these chips.

7377_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Archived