NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher EQ1

enigma

I am considering the above mount to use with a DSLR for casual photography of the night sky using short exposures up to around 30sec and lenses up to around 135mm. Does anyone know if the EQ1 mount is suitable for this task? I can also consider the EQ2, but I want to keep the setup as portable as possible and from what I found both mounts use the same motor drives and probably have a similar tracking accuracy.

37 minutes ago, enigma said:

I am considering the above mount to use with a DSLR for casual photography of the night sky using short exposures up to around 30sec and lenses up to around 135mm. Does anyone know if the EQ1 mount is suitable for this task? I can also consider the EQ2, but I want to keep the setup as portable as possible and from what I found both mounts use the same motor drives and probably have a similar tracking accuracy.

Have you thought about getting a star adventurer? It's a bit pricey but very capable and portable!

Unfortunately no one is going to say 'that's a great idea' and mean it.

As per Alan it is doable with a bit of diy to attach the camera. Sadly the EQ1 and 2 tripods are about as sturdy as 3 garden canes taped together. I do have a complete SEBEN one in a box in the shed that I acquired by chance, inc telescope etc.

You don't list your location, but if it happens to be Brittany you can gladly have it to allow you to continue saving for something a lot better.

Best,

Rich

11 minutes ago, lrt75914 said:

Have you thought about getting a star adventurer? It's a bit pricey but very capable and portable!

Pricey and without a tripod. I have seen it in person and it looked too delicate for my taste. For about the same amount of money the EQ3 (with the new motors) seems like a better choice, but unfortunately not portable.

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

If 30 seconds is your aim you might consider making a barn door tracker.

I had a barn door tracker before but I am looking for a motorized mount now that it is more complicated to build.

The SW adventurer is a bit pricey but people are getting very good results with a DSLR and lens but it still seems to perform at its load limits with a small scope and CCD/filter wheel etc but it does need a good tripod.

My EQ3-2 gets two minutes max with camera and lens or 90 seconds with a 400 mm FL scope, I feel that the SA can do better.

Alan

On 9/13/2016 at 17:35, RichM63 said:

Unfortunately no one is going to say 'that's a great idea' and mean it.

As per Alan it is doable with a bit of diy to attach the camera. Sadly the EQ1 and 2 tripods are about as sturdy as 3 garden canes taped together. I do have a complete SEBEN one in a box in the shed that I acquired by chance, inc telescope etc.

You don't list your location, but if it happens to be Brittany you can gladly have it to allow you to continue saving for something a lot better.

Best,

Rich

Thank you for your offer, but my location is overseas.

Archived