NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Waxing gibbous Moon - Grassendi sketch

N3ptune

Hello, I am back from the dark spot for a week night observation! My only target was the strong moon, so I took some time to draw Grassendi crater which was on the terminator section.

It was hard to do again, nothing is easy when it's time to draw something outside but my instrument is delivering great results nonetheless.

203mm x 1000, EP 4.7mm ES (212x), and the incredible Neodymium filter, seeing Good 4/5 at least.

My attempt on the Grassendi Crater

XQKiRRl.png?1

8 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

Hey Todd, I've also got a wish list to hopefully use black card and white pencils maybe in the new year I will fill my current sketch book and then have a go at whit on black card ☺️

Hey. Leave things as they are your sketches are brill and youmhave a great style 

pat

Thanks for you comments.

For the moment, I want to continue with the regular pencils on white paper to gain some skill and fluidity using that technique. Last night I was actually lasy and I used only HB and 4H, the paper was getting wet because I took too much time erasing, I had a hard time really.

I am not seeing this has a competition ou a performance exercice either. It's just a way to spend my time, trying to capture something, the learning curve is slow for it to remain a hobby. If it gives motivation to someone else then it's great.

But I want to continue with that technique to get fluent, integrate the 3B pencil to accentuate the shades, etc.

Eventually I'll try the black card and white pencil also, for sure.

2 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

Thanks for you comments.

For the moment, I want to continue with the regular pencils on white paper to gain some skill and fluidity using that technique. Last night I was actually lasy and I used only HB and 4H, the paper was getting wet because I took too much time, erasing, I had a hard time really.

But I want to continue with that technique to get fluent, integrate the 3B pencil to accentuate the shades.

Eventually I'll try the black card and white pencil also, for sure.

The only reason i suggested it was because when i look up on a dark sky it just seems odd to,draw on white paper  has its a black sky ,i found it easier to do this thats all keep up the great sketches .

I would not go that far in saying that's odd.. The background of the moon is bright and gray, closer to white then black. I think various techniques can work. Like an old carpenter said to me on the first day at the construction site: There is no better technique.

At work they might force things because the analyst said it would save money but fortunately this is not work. 

Archived