Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coma Corrector

Doug64

Hi,

I have a Skywatcher 200p F/5  and I'm looking to get a coma corrector for it.

I am considering the below:-

Skywatcher 0.9X Coma Corrector

Baader mark III MPCC coma corrector.

I would appreciate your views and recommendations on the above.

I'll be using my modified Canon DSLR and if I were to purchase the Baader Coma corrector would I also require the Badder M48 spacer and Baader protective T Ring.

Thanks

Doug

Doug, in the 130PDS thread there is quite a lot of discussion about the pro's and con's of both ...

Uranium takes the best pictures I've seen on here using the 130PDS and this is his comparison of the two...

So it depends if you want a FL reduction or not...

I haven't tried the Baader but have been quite happy with the results from my Skywatcher Coma Corrector on my SW 200P with astromodified Canon.  I did have to get the '48mm for Canon EOS' adapter.

The increase in field isn't that great - still can't get all M31 in frame [below]  - but at least the stars are a bit less distorted at the edges   (And it's not among my better work and would certainly benefit from redoing...)

Andromeda2016[4].jpg

On 06/09/2016 at 17:35, wimvb said:

Just picked up mine. And then clouds rolled in ...

I noticed that the glass in the corrector doesn't have a colour cast as you would expect from AR coatings. Is this normal??

Yes its normal, the MkIII should give an instant improvement - just point it at a bright star and be amazed at the lack of internal reflections! (something the SW is plagued with on bright stars).

Archived