SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C8 XLT, 1st light - ALBIREO (BETA CYGNI)

iapa

46 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

You don't see many double stars images, I like it :) It would be interesting to try different exposure times to see how it effects star colour? did you use a focus mask?

Thanks - I tried M51 initially, but wasn't getting anything, and after I tried Vega and Deneb - there was a lot of rubbish as they were maybe too bright - remembered reading Albireo was a decent target, not too bright. 

Note sure if it's an imaging issue, it will be tho', but if this has resolved Beta Cygni Aa and Cygni Ac then that's quite remarkable.

I started at ISO 800, (The gurus seem to suggest no point going past that) but could not get pat 15 sec exposure. The I did a few more at 1600 and 3200 - none of which I have looked at.

I used a Bahtinov for focusing, and it was spot on - despite the control being very sensitive (1st use of this OTA) but it looks like the focus may have slipped little.

I had just about decided that I had bitten off more than I can chew (as a noob) with the C8 after I started to really look at what was needed, focal reducer to start, then all the OAG adapters etc., it was getting too expensive.

Saw a gap in the cloud and decided 'what the hell, can I do anything win this?'

Now, well, maybe I see some potential :) but will need more convincing.

It might be worth trying some bright planetary nebulae if you get a chance, M27 and M57 are particularly bright. I don't image much now days but I've tried with C8's in the past. A .63 reducer flatener will help in a number of ways:

1) reduce the focal length so you get longer exposures without star trails.

2) shorten exposure times.

3) increase field of view FOV

4) sharpen up stars from close to the centre to the edge of the FOV

There is a .63 reducer on Astrobuy and sell second hand last time I checked.

C8's arn't the easiest for imaging, but they are flexible i.e. imaging at f/10 f/6.3, f3.3 for EAA astronomy, and f/2 with hyperstar for the brave. They are elso very compact and light for the aperture. I always regret it when I sell mine, my last C8 Edge HD was probably the best scope I've owned :) very expensive for the .7 reducer though!

My aim is galaxies and nebulae. M27 is Sth for me, and I have no view :( 

M57 was on the card, but i needed something brighter to get my guide scope and camera sorted 1st. Once I have the, then ... lets see what this thing has

Last nigh I thought I had an hour to setup and get first images with this.

FR and metal work for OAG also on the shopping list.

To be honest, galaxies and nebulae require different scopes. I regard my 530mm and 1015mm FL scopes as nebular scopes, the longer one being able to do galaxies up to a point. (This is after you've done the big ones, M31, M33, M101.)

I don't think you need to worry about longer subs for your double stars. The trick is to catch the colour, and you have. Short exposures are ideal for that. You have a nice Albieo in my view.

Olly

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:55, Chris Lock said:

You don't see many double stars images, I like it :) It would be interesting to try different exposure times to see how it effects star colour? did you use a focus mask?

hers a 1s exposure

ALBIREO_LIGHT_1s_6400iso_f10_+23c_20160905-23h05m21s515ms.jpg

I'd like to thank everyone for their complementary comments.

Ego suitable massaged.

Now - what's wrong with these? (excluding issues that would be resolved with the f6.3 flattener, and focus)

Archived