Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade 4000 f3.3 reducer & iPhone

1CM69

Hi all,

I've managed to get hold of a Meade f3.3 reducer and seeing that it's designed for very small chip CCD cameras I have been wondering if I could perhaps hook my iPhone up to it & get pleasing results via video recording and then running this vid through PIPP.

i would have thought the the iPhone sensor would be small enough for this purpose.

My only image capturing device at the moment is my DSLR which does not capture video. 

I'll post up any result that I get. 

2 hours ago, 1CM69 said:

Hi all,

I've managed to get hold of a Meade f3.3 reducer and seeing that it's designed for very small chip CCD cameras I have been wondering if I could perhaps hook my iPhone up to it & get pleasing results via video recording and then running this vid through PIPP.

i would have thought the the iPhone sensor would be small enough for this purpose.

My only image capturing device at the moment is my DSLR which does not capture video. 

I'll post up any result that I get. 

The Meade f3.3 reducer was designed for use with webcam sized sensors ie Meade DSI cameras or similar so should be useable with a webcam, assuming the camera is sensitive enough for DSO imaging, otherwise lunar imaging only.  The resultant lunar images would not have the same degree of detail as creating a mosaic though because you would be capturing a larger area onto a small sensor. Using the reducer with a mobile phone wouldn't work because you need to image through a lens (afocal imaging) with a camera with a fixed lens.

I've been curious about this as well. The old Meade 3.3 FR's are pretty hard to come by over here - but I've have one. And I've been tinkering with it, off & on, for awhile - nothing conclusive though. I'll be most interested to hear/read your findings. I have 5 different types of video-cams at my disposal. So any results will be fascinating to me!

Thank's for posting!

Dave

Archived