Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heading off to clear skies

dogfish

Just thought I'd make everyone jealous who's stuck in rainy and cloudy blighty.

Flying out to Majorca on Sunday to meet up with my brother (Ian aka Starflyer) who generously invited me along at the last minute. I'm taking my WO Megrez 72 FD Apo in a hard case as hand luggage and stowing a reasonable photo tripod in my checked in case. Just bought one of them WO cloned RDF's that Astronomica do, which should help in finding things. Hoping to get my first view of Jupiter this year and some of the Messiers in Sagittarius and Scorpius, that never rise very high in Scotland.

The moon might spoil things a bit, but I'll try and post some kind of report on my return.

Any suggestions for targets appreciated.

Martin

Just realised this is probably the wrong section (I've been having a wee drink :shocked: ) so mods please shift it to the appropriate section please.

Hi Jamie

Funny bumping into you today. Got my euro's sorted and the megrez is packed :lol:

Only problem is I bought an Astronomica rdf, which although looks identical to the WO one, it has a different foot and won't attach :shocked: I'm going to get some double sided tape (the stuff you stick number plates on with) first thing tomorrow and (sacrilege) stick it on the Megrez, unless anyone's got any bright ideas?

Cheers, Martin

Don't think so Karlo. It looks like a completely different design.

Thanks for the Maplins tip, I might pop there first. I'm sure I'll bodge something together. BTW, Ian's there already and texted me to say that Jupiter is up about 25-30 degrees above the horizon :hello1: but the moon is virtually full :shocked: can't wait though.

Cheers, Martin

Majorca sounds great Martin. How could you not have a great time there mate.

Well the Milky Way will be right over your Head , so plenty of targets for you.

If I was you I would have a look through Scutum at Low Power, and dwell on the star clouds there. You can find the Wild Duck Open Cluster M11, beautiful sight. Plenty to go at though.

Double Cluster in Perseus, Albireo, that beautiful double in Cygnus, The Ring Nebula in Lyra

M13 in Hercules. You have a goldmine of targets at your disposal.

Main thing is, enjoy yourself.

Ron. :shocked:

• 1 month later...

Archived