Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ES127mm Hex Focus - Baader Steel Track & Feathertouch Focuser

Im having real trouble finding out either of theses focusers can be used on my ES 127mm w/Hex Focus, Baader Steel Track & Feathertouch Focuser.

Does anyone know the answer? Which parts do i need? Also i would like to replace the compression ring with baader 2in clicklock? Is that possible with either or both focuser and what part do i need. Really confusing.

Also in terms of bino viewing i would prefer the focuser that sticks out the least.

I think ive worked out the feather tocuh parts....

The main Feather touch:
FTF3035B-A---FEATHER TOUCH® 3.0"

Adaptor:
A30-1903-es127A for 127mm Carbon Tube with Sliding Due Shield

This Part:
EC30-1905-4---END CAP 3.0" FEATHER TOUCH FOCUSERS >>> 

Allows fitting 2" Baader ClickLock M68 Clamp instead of "in compression ring.
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-clicklock-m68-clamp.html

Does that look right?

Bear in mind that the Baader Clicklick will add about 10mm to 20mm to the overall length of your focuser depending on how it fits to the drawtube so might give you a problem with the binoviewers.

3 minutes ago, DRT said:

Bear in mind that the Baader Clicklick will add about 10mm to 20mm to the overall length of your focuser depending on how it fits to the drawtube so might give you a problem with the binoviewers.

Thanks DRT, its such a double sided sword. My fingers are starting to feel pain constantly twisting the tiny compression rings knobs... so ive been thinking of upgrading to the baader clicklocks. I do relize the clicklock add more light path, but im wondering if either the Baader Steeltrack Or Feathertouch are shorter and hence save lightpath cancelling out the clicklock. Annoyingly starlight have no technical drawings on their website so i can work it all out. 

You could try one of these: http://www.365astronomy.com/Baader-Ultrashort-2-eyepiece-clamp-with-M68-male-thread-Baa-9-2458196-32.html

I fitted one to my ED100 to save a few mm so that I could use my Baader Wedge with it. It is a very sturdy piece of kit with a variety of threads on both sides and from what I remember the three knurled screws were larger than normal so might be a bit more comfortable for your hands.

30 minutes ago, Pingster said:

Drt. That clamp looks great. Is it self centering and quick release or is it tighen thumbscrew job?

It is three screws onto a brass compression ring so if you tighten them evenly it is effectively self-centering.

33 minutes ago, Pingster said:

The starlight website says

Racked in from mounting face its 93.27mm

What distance do they mean. Plz see my picture... Lenght A or B?

Screenshot_2016-09-02-17-37-19.jpg

I think it will be "A" as that distance is stated in the spec for the focuser, not the adapter. You could email them to ask for the total racked-in length of the focuser plus adapter. They are really helpful and quick to respond :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking for a electronic focser controller system that allows manual focining as well as assisted. Ive found this JMI for the feather touch.... but it only supports 2.5in focuser. I have a 3in. Does anyone know if theres a alternative that works like this? Or can this be easily modded to fit?

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/jmi-motofocus-for-starlight-instruments-feathertouch.html

2 minutes ago, Pingster said:

Just got an email from starlight saying my 3in FT is not instock and they are making me one and it will take 3-6weeks! I had no idea this was a "on demand item. Insane.

Well worth the wait though :) 

Archived