Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Maplin Power Supply Question

I bought a PSU from Maplin - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=13.8V%20PSU&source=15&SD=Y. It is my intention to use it to power my dew heater strips, CCD camera and my EQ6 Pro.

It arrived today and I was surprised to see the following in the instruction manual .... "This unit must not be used to charge lead-acid batteries, run light bulbs or operate any equipment containing a motor". The final restriction apparently ruling out its use to run the EQ6 Pro.

Can anyone explain why there is a restriction on using it to power motors and whether it is applicable to the EQ6.

Thanks

Mike

I've given it a try, there was a loud bang, a flash, lots of smoke ..... just joking.

Hooked it up indoors and did a slew or two, left it running - no problems. Thanks for the reassurance.

Mike

Not sure if my answer is correct but, perhaps if anyone powered a series motor, and by that I mean a dc motor such as a starter motor is wound/wired with the armature in series with the field coils, the current draw would increase with the amount of load applied. The current passing through the field would give extra torque. I think electric trains run on that type.

As most telescope drives are stepper motors, They are not going to compromise the power supply.

Also, no one would try to run a starter motor from this power supply, or run an electric loco. :shocked: but there are small series motors around, and I think the warning may be for that reason.

Then again, I may be up the creek with the whole theory.

Ron. :lol:

hi guys i think the warning is because standard motors ( not steppers ) can draw large start up currents which could put a huge strain on the PSU exceeding the safe working load for the unit secondly when the magnetic field collapse within the field coils of a motor it has the ability to generate a very high voltage ( flyback voltage) a special circuit is needed to block these reverse feedback voltages as an aside this flyback voltage is used in CRT sets to fire the electron guns beam back to the prime focus point using the scanning coils all clever stuff Regards Pete PS my skywatcher powertank works just fine for my motor drives

Yeah - it's just Maplin and the manufacturers playing it safe - they are referring to directly driven motors and an initial spike power demand which the supply isn't made to cope with - mount motors don't do this and are far too small anyway (and there's no real lag between the power being applied and the motor running)

Andy.

It arrived today and I was surprised to see the following in the instruction manual .... "This unit must not be used to charge lead-acid batteries, run light bulbs or operate any equipment containing a motor". The final restriction apparently ruling out its use to run the EQ6 Pro.

Mike

One might ask what is it MEANT to be used for then??

Archived