NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote Mount and Camera for imaging

Doug64

Hi, 

I'm looking to control my Skywatcher ED80, ST80 guidescope, guide camera, DSLR and Heq5 pro mount remotely so I can sit in the warmth whilst taking images.

From my house to the garden where my scope will be set up is about  15 meters.

I was looking to use a EQdirect cable from the mount  to a 15 meter active USB cable which will connect to my compute to operate the mount and separate active USB cables for the gide camera and DSLR.

Is this the best way to do it or are there better ways to do it using an active hub etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Doug

There are a lot of ways to do this. Not sure which is best. I guess it depends on if it works for you. :smiley:

I use a laptop at the scope to control everything and Teamviewer to control the laptop from in the house.

The laptop at the scope is a refurbished Dell and I replaced the hard disk with a SSD. Seems to work just fine over WiFi at 35 meters.

I also have a cheaper Dell laptop at the rig.  I keep it inside a plastic storage box  that has been laid on its side with some holes for cables. Once the rig is ready I place the lid on to protect it from the dew and head indoors to run it. The box also keeps spurious light from the laptop getting to the scopes. The laptop is connected to my WiFi net. I use RealVNC (freeware) to remote control the Dell from either my desktop or my android phone. I can go to bed and check the status with the phone. Another idea is if you are using AC power you might be able to use a PowerLine network adapter and connect via ethernet. But possible electrical hazards exist with dew and AC power. I also use a home NAS server and mirror my FITS file folder from the laptop to the NAS so in case the Dell would crash I have the data safely stored.  

The laptop outside actually runs at a slightly higher temp than the air so the dew tends to not form on them. It can form on the back of the monitor lid, but if you fold it slightly over, they seem to work fine. I sometimes cover with a plastic sheet, or a scope cover during spring/autumn, but often don't bother. Also, having it under a table, or simply under something also helps dew stay away.

Hi,

Thanks for the posts.

So if I use an old laptop running Win 7 outside with Teamviewer then I can control everything from my laptop inside the house.

If running it this way is their any lag between the computers that may cause any problem whilst imaging, this is why I was thinking of using active USB cables.

Thanks again

Doug 

It is easy to keep an outside laptop dry and happy. It can go in an insulated box, which ought to be enough in the UK. Up here at 3000 feet in the minus teens I sometimes add a pet warming pad. (This is not a joke!) You'll find lots of them on Google.

Olly

I use windows remote access vista desktop inside, xplaptopoutside, and other than having to connect twice after failing the first time i have no issues

I cover with a folding crate covered with a travel rug.

So far no real issues at down to -20 to -25C. That's the main reason I went remote control. Also I've found that BYEOS (if you use a DSLR) works great. 

BYEOS will even park the scope after and imaging run and Astrotortilla plays nice with BYEOS too. 

No big lag times, just a pain to have to run outside to re-focus. I really need and auto-focus. 

I use a USB - CAT6 converter and run a CAT6 cable into the house and to my laptop - I can do everything required from indoors - the best purchase was an electronic focuser !!

This one - https://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/usb-over-cat5-cat6-extender~USB2004EXTV

It works flawlessly.

Archived