Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I'll take the blame :)

The Head Gardener

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooh! I wouldn't dare to advise on that, Jane.

Despite earlier encouraging you to get going, I suppose it's worth remembering the adage about the sun still being there tomorrow. It's best that you get it right and don't end up wondering 'what if?'.

Only you can decide ... ??

I use a Skywatcher Merlin mount or a AZ Synscan from a 127Mak.  I also have an iOptron Cube Pro, which is a nice mount but lacks the stability of either Skywatcher mount on a decent tripod.  I keep the Cube at work in case it is sunny and I get a 30 minute solar break, less often these days than I used to.

I really like the look of the Lunt 80 and adding DS is not quite as much as the 60, since it is an internal DS, not a front mounted one.  You might need a bigger mount for the 80, it might be okay on a Skywatcher AZ.  A Lunt 80 really needs the B1800, so costs start to mount.  If t came down to aperture or DS and I was doing it again, I would go for aperture, just because the SS is easier to live with and it's cheaper to upgrade an 80 to DS, than it is to upgrade a 60 to an 80.

At the end of the day, either scope would be great and I don't think you would be disappointed with either, I wasn't with my 60.

Robin

Thanks, Robin.  The iOptron Cube Pro had made it to my short list, along with the SW Star Adventurer which gets a mention on some other posts.  I'll have a look at the Merlin, too.

And ... the 60 is looking the way I shall go (well, that's how it looks at the moment!).

Just now, janesdsg said:

Saw this just as I was about to press the button at FLO on the DS60 .... 152 DS very tempting but can't quite get the windfall to stretch that far  :rolleyes2: 

Unfortunately that is always the way it is in this hobby, Jane. 

My next windfall (should it ever arrive!) is destined for a relatively large Takahashi Fuorite refractor. The size is very much dependant on the strength of the wind!! :smile:

If the wind in Derbyshire is anything like the wind in Pembrokeshire it's best to spend any windfall quickly before the lot blows away again.  Mine's got to stretch to the Lunt, a suitable mount, probably a glass path corrector for my binoviewers, matching eps ... and whatever else I might have forgotten (bound to be something).

You only live once. My general rule is that if extra cash is truly extra to that which puts food on the table and a roof over the family then it is available for enjoyment, either now or in the future or both. 

The good news is that with top quality Astro kit that is well cared for you can probably bet on getting 70% of the windfall back if you ever need it :grin: 

Whatever you buy, enjoy it :wink:

Whatever you decide Jane, best of luck and I am sure you won't regret it.   You asked about mount - I probably know less than anyone else at SGL but I am using husband's EQ5 (with GOTO but that's not relevant for finding the big yellow thing :) )

Seems very solid and stable, the only addition I had to make was get a smaller counterweight to use rather than the 5kg weights that we already had. 

Don't know if this link is allowed but came across this earlier http://www.telescopehouse.com/lunt-ls60tha-b1200cpt-h-alpha-solar-telescope-preowned.html

Oh, talking of additions, whatever you buy add the Televue Sol Searcher to your order, simplest thing in the world to use and works brilliantly.

3 hours ago, The Head Gardener said:

Whatever you decide Jane, best of luck and I am sure you won't regret it.   You asked about mount - I probably know less than anyone else at SGL but I am using husband's EQ5 (with GOTO but that's not relevant for finding the big yellow thing :) )

It can be Jayne and Jane sharing the "hnonour" of being the one on SGL that knows least! 

Thanks for the link to the preowned scope ... I'm a bit nervous of retro-fitting the double-stack and I've not been able to find a 60mm double stack filter for sale, only 50mm.  'Cos I'm a beginner at this I think it would be safer for me to buy the scope double-stacked and ready to go:

www.firstlightoptics.com/lunt-solar-60mm-h-alpha-telescopes/lunt-ls60thads60b1200ftpt-60mm-h-alpha-telescope.html

And, thanks, too for the suggestion about the mount.

2 hours ago, Floater said:

Mine sits very happily on the Vixen Porta II.

A finder is well worth attaching and the TV Sol Searcher is simple and works just fine.

I can feel your finger twitching on the trigger ...

??

... and it's a very sensitive trigger :blob1:

Vixen Porta II on the list as another SGL member uses this with his Lunt and binoviewers (similar set up to what I hope to have.)

• 1 month later...

Beautiful! I am getting the exact thing here in a month.

I was so impressed with the lunt 50 , but the 50 had a few minor issues (like small focal length) I decided to talk myself into getting the right model w/ blocking filter, despite the huge cost. 

This is a lifetime grab and go/imaging solar scope IMO. 

Archived