NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A quality RACI finder?

So, courtesy of Derek (DRT)  I now have my Altair Maxi-finder on the Dob. It looks a fine piece of kit but I've not yet been able to try it under the stars - I will report again when I do.

With the extra weight added to my already hefty ES eyepieces, I am trying the counterweight idea, as suggested by John and others, using a cheap magnetic knife rack. As you can see, this is just fixed with cable ties for now until I can check that is in the right position. 

IMG_0297.JPG

• Like 1

I recently picked up the Versascope (intending to use it for autoguiding) and was quite impressed. It has a bit more aperture, is flexible in terms of accepting a range of eps and has a standard Synta finder shoe. At a push I reckon it could double as an ultra portable refractor (albeit with significant CA and sub-optimal focuser) and should make an excellent, versatile finder.

One thing I will say with regard to RACI finders is that, optically, you will lose relative to classical straight through finders. For me, comparing the Skywatcher 9x50 RACI and 9x50 straight through is night and day, with much more detail visible in the latter. That said I still prefer RACI - what you lose oprtically you get back in ergonomics and intuitve navigation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/08/2016 at 11:41, DRT said:

I have a Altair 80mm Maxi-Finder on my VX12 and it is fantastic. These are not cheap new but I managed to pick mine up second hand in mint condition. I use it alongside a Rigel finder and the combination works really well. The 80mm finder has very good optics so is just like looking through a small wide-field scope :smile:

VX12.jpg

It has taken much longer than expected but having sold my Maxi-finder to Kerry I have now completed the upgrade by attaching my Tele Vue 60 with an Everbrite diagonal and a Panoptic 24mm as a finder for my OO UK VX12 :cool2:

The reason for the delay is that the most effective way to attach it was to order a 3" balance bar direct from Tele Vue which took a while to come and even longer to get over the price :eek:

The movement allowed by the balance bar plus the adjustment in the sliding dew shield of the TV60 will also give me some great options for balancing the dob when I switch eyepieces.

I have just tested it out and I think it will be excellent. It gives me a lovely 4.3 degree FOV and a proper apo rich-field view to combine with the delights of the VX12 :grin:

image1.JPG

Edited by DRT
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 22/12/2016 at 17:30, DRT said:

It has taken much longer than expected but having sold my Maxi-finder to Kerry I have now completed the upgrade by attaching my Tele Vue 60 with an Everbrite diagonal and a Panoptic 24mm as a finder for my OO UK VX12 :cool2:

The reason for the delay is that the most effective way to attach it was to order a 3" balance bar direct from Tele Vue which took a while to come and even longer to get over the price :eek:

The movement allowed by the balance bar plus the adjustment in the sliding dew shield of the TV60 will also give me some great options for balancing the dob when I switch eyepieces.

I have just tested it out and I think it will be excellent. It gives me a lovely 4.3 degree FOV and a proper apo rich-field view to combine with the delights of the VX12 :grin:

image1.JPG

Derek, how do you align the TV60 to the Dobson?