SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Build your club/school a telescope 16" F5

andrew s

I have a "spare" 400mm F5 Newtonian mirror set with over sized secondary. This was made for a spectroscopy project by OO for me but proved too big for me and  my observatory. I also have a large 3" Van Slykes focuser with robofocus and other bits and bobs that would make a good basis for a club / school project. 

I am willing to give it all free to a good cause. If you are interested please PM me with a proposal on how you would like to use them. 

Regards Andrew

3 hours ago, andyboy1970 said:

Just make sure it goes to a recognised club and not a greedy individual.

Much easier said than done. I have given equipment away before and or sold it below market price to aid other astronomers. Often they promise updates on progress but I hear nothing only to find, in some cases, they have sold their projects on or in the case of stuff I sold cheaply resold it at a higher price. I can't control others I am afraid.

However, not a good reason to be small minded and mean. I hope a club or school can benefit from this offer.

Regards Andrew

I have had a very good proposal from Jim (saac) a Physics teacher at St Andrew's High School in Kirkcaldy in Fife so that's where it going. Thanks for looking and the kind comments. Lets hope it inspires the next generation of SGLers.

At school my Physics teacher lent me a transmission grating and I have been doing spectroscopy one way or another ever since. So full makes to Jim.

Regards Andrew

Just came back from a family day out in the hills and found Andrew's offer for our school.  I'd just like to say publicly what an amazingly generous offer he has made here. I hope to be able to turn this into a really engaging project for the kids deserving of Andrew's generosity.  

I'm already searching out my Kriege and Berry book on Building Large Aperture Telescopes.:icon_biggrin:

Jim 

Well done Jim on winning the lottery, so to speak, in being chosen to receive this equipment.

I would also like to highlight again the generosity shown by  Andrew.

Andrew, you are a rare breed, in a good way ?

Can i just say how delighted i am to see this thread and the result.  Its nice to have faith in people confirmed.  

Myself, i started astronomy when i was 13 by helping out my physics teacher video a lunar eclipse, and the bug remained with me to this day.  Im 57 now   

Archived