Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's amazing what you see when you don't have your gun

DAVE AMENDALL

Got AAH on my bookshelves, borrowed the others from the local library (When it was worth calling a library). Grabbed AAH when they were having a sell off. I think my hand moved so fast it's now significantly younger than the rest of me!

Nice find! I love old books on astronomy, and other sciences, too. My best one in my collection is 'Astronomy' by Fred Hoyle. A hardbound 'coffee-table' copy/ Hoyle dug his feet in regarding the universe as being 'static' - rather than expanding. He disregarded such new-fangled ideas on 'Doppler-Shift' until the end of the static world.

It's a fun read, with beautiful photos & illustration.

Have fun,

Dave

I love old Astronomy books too, and have plenty of rainy and cloudy nights to enjoy them here in the UK.  Not familiar with these three though, but I have stumbled across some real treasures in Markets & Charity Shops.  Like Dave says, old books have beautiful photos and illustrations :smiley:.  I find vintage book's have a way of drawing you in to share a story, where as most modern writings seem stark and lifeless, especially electronic books.

You echo my sentiments guys. I don't think you will find them in the Library now. i particularly like the pics of the vintage Observatories in the Patrick Moore book .One  had a dome which revolved on  3 dozen golf balls. Very smooth and trouble free for years. of course in those days there was'nt the gear there is now,so some improvising was necessary. It was a case of we make it but you try to get it...........................Dave

On 17/08/2016 at 16:43, DAVE AMENDALL said:

Cleaning out the cupboards and came across these. If you can remember them, like me,you are older than you think........

Oh the nostalgia !

AAH Sidgwick in the middle, had one with that cover ('55-'65 ish thereabouts ?) , lent it to a friend who was grinding his own 8", never saw it again :(

Archived