Date - 16/08/16

Time - 23:30

Lunar Phase - Waxing Gibbous
93% luminosity 

Seeing - poor

Equipment - Celestron Nexstar 6SE

Eyepieces - ES 24mm 68 degree

Additional info - 

First light for my ES 24mm tonight and I have to say it performed really well for me ☺️
I especially enjoyed the view of IC 4665 hence the reason why I sketched it.
The star field across the entire FOV was very pleasing to the eye.
The moon obviously made it difficult to get the best possible detail but I wasn't bad and I must say I saw some fine detail on the moon ?
I viewed a few other DSO but thought it best to sketch those another time, M18 was especially tempting but I knew I could get more from it when the moon is out of the way ☺️
In conclusion IC 4665 was a lovely open cluster to not only sketch but observe because of the almost zig zag pattern which then opened up to less bright stars really was a joy to observe ?

Clear skies ✨????

Richard

Great work, I can sens how satisfied you were to watch the IC 4665 with your new ES 24mm. I took this EP in my hands a few weeks ago, beautiful product, you must have a clean view with it. Your drawing is boosting my motivation (:

2 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Great work, I can sens how satisfied you were to watch the IC 4665 with your new ES 24mm. I took this EP in my hands a few weeks ago, beautiful product, you must have a clean view with it. Your drawing is boosting my motivation (:

Hi N3ptune, I could say the same for your sketches, they really are lovely to look at ☺️

Concerning the ES 24mm it really was a joy to look at open clusters and the moon with really is a beautiful EP to look through and well made as well ☺️

Richard

Nice work glad to see more people sketching because any one can buy a image rig and take a dso they all look the same bigger or smaller they all the same but a sketch ,now that's some thing to be hold keep up the good work 

pat

1 hour ago, todd8137 said:

Nice work glad to see more people sketching because any one can buy a image rig and take a dso they all look the same bigger or smaller they all the same but a sketch ,now that's some thing to be hold keep up the good work 

pat

Hi pat, thank you i do love sketching what I observe, it adds that extra emotion and intense scrutiny of what your observing to try and get every photon of detail you can.

Also it's almost like I can go back to that session and observe that same amazing object just by looking at something I sketched it's a beautiful feeling ☺️

Richard

Richard  

I could not agree more ,sketching is brill and once you find a target the constant nudging the scope to keep it in the ep and you never forget where it is after that I,started with clusters as there nice and they get you in the swing of things 

the moon is where it's at for me the shadows are brill I look forward to more of your work and I love to watch people's work progress

it was the big shadows cast where out of this world 

pat

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, todd8137 said:

Richard  

I could not agree more ,sketching is brill and once you find a target the constant nudging the scope to keep it in the ep and you never forget where it is after that I,started with clusters as there nice and they get you in the swing of things 

the moon is where it's at for me the shadows are brill I look forward to more of your work and I love to watch people's work progress

it was the big shadows cast where out of this world 

pat

image.jpeg

Wow that is one amazing sketch I have sketched a couple of planetary sketched, they were fun and I was pondering when to take on a moon sketch.

I love the shadows of the terminator with all of its glorious derail ☺️

May I ask what you used to make your sketch and what paper you used.

Richard

Pencils  contes of Paris . ( they around £1.25)

mixed  charcoal £8.99

china graph for whiter than white detail 

black card book around £4.99 of Amazon

sorry for the poor quality pics the ipad,cam is rubbish

cotton balls to blend and ear buds 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conté-Paris-Drawing-Pencil-White/dp/B0028DADBS

pat 

image.jpg

image.jpg

@todd8137

Waaaa those drawings of the moon and the Cluster are magnificent Todd. You also are really generous to share your method "open source" like that, good people exist and I learned something new. (It's a breakthrough in art for me right now hehehe)

The spot you choose on the moon is fascinating with the dried river bed and the high sharp mountains. It's premium. Great technique to use a black background, it looks much easier and fast to produce a work like that.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, todd8137 said:

Pencils  contes of Paris . ( they around £1.25)

mixed  charcoal £8.99

china graph for whiter than white detail 

black card book around £4.99 of Amazon

sorry for the poor quality pics the ipad,cam is rubbish

cotton balls to blend and ear buds 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conté-Paris-Drawing-Pencil-White/dp/B0028DADBS

pat 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi Pat, thank you for sharing your technique, your sketches are so detailed and immersive especially your moon sketch ?

I will undoubtedly be doing some research into this technique and be trying it as some point in the coming months.

Thank you for inspiring me ☺️

Richard

6 hours ago, N3ptune said:

@todd8137

Waaaa those drawings of the moon and the Cluster are magnificent Todd. You also are really generous to share your method "open source" like that, good people exist and I learned something new. (It's a breakthrough in art for me right now hehehe)

The spot you choose on the moon is fascinating with the dried river bed and the high sharp mountains. It's premium. Great technique to use a black background, it looks much easier and fast to produce a work like that.

Thanks.

Thanks  but I have tried sketching on white parper and card it's not the same  as the sky is black not white and it is easier for me this way and it does in my eyes look better .

trust me there's hundred s,of sketches that have not made it ,as a kid the moon always made me want to go there and a telescope,gets me a little closer to it 

as long as your drawing and  sketching for your self  and to record what you see even if it's a few dots on a bit of paper  it's personnel to me  and the next time I view I no what to look for ,take Richards great IC 4665 sketch above  if I had never seen it and was looking for it .I would no what to look for and exspect to see .

I would also like to stress the point that there's never a bad sketch I often get told by people that they feel worried to post sketches because they do not look good but let me tell you this for every sketch posted there's hundreds out there that do not get posted here as people think it's not good .

This to me makes no sense has art as no right or wrong  trust me it's easy to point a image rig at a dso and let the mount and camera do the work to me that's a technical  achievement as some one once told me but a sketch ,that comes from a persons hand and mind and represents what you will really see .

keep sketching 

Pat

17 hours ago, todd8137 said:

This to me makes no sense has art as no right or wrong  trust me it's easy to point a image rig at a dso and let the mount and camera do the work to me that's a technical Ooutch!  achievement as some one once told me but a sketch ,that comes from a persons hand and mind and represents what you will really see . I agree with that, a manual form of art that was done with the human, pure body talent is what I prefer also! (Not exclusively but generally)

keep sketching tx

Archived