Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Confusion about the new Explore Scientific FCD-100 models

There seem to be conflicting information about the new FCD-100 refractors, for instance, with the 80mm version:

FLO sells a carbon version https://www.firstlightoptics.com/explore-scientific-telescopes/explore-scientific-ed-apo-80mm-f6-fcd-100-refractor-telescope-carbon-version-3.html

So does astroshop.de http://www.astroshop.de/explore-scientific-apochromatischer-refraktor-ap-80-480-ed-fcd-100-cf-hexafoc-ota/p,49839

ES Europe have also announced the carbon version here: http://www.astrotreff.de/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=191746

However, if you google for them, their official bresser.de and explorescientific.de results lead to dead ends, and we only find cached results for these carbon versions:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qwEPNIBJb0IJ:www.explorescientific.de/Teleskopoptiken/ED-APO-80mm-f-6-CF-Mark-III-HEX.html%3Flisttype%3Dsearch+&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ch

Now, on the American Explore Scientific page, there seems to be a aluminium model in the pipeline, scheduled for September, this is so far the only 'official', up-to-date content I can find about the new models with FCD-100 glass:
http://explorescientificusa.com/collections/ed-apo-fcd100-triplet-series/products/fcd100-80mm-apochromatic-refractor

Does anyone know more? Is the carbon version discontinued?

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up this thread - I've been trying to work out exactly what ES is planning  too with the upgraded FCD-100 models - it seems as if there will be a 127mm carbon fibre version - it's being advertised on a couple of websites now including Bresser.de, but I agree the marketing info is patchy at best. 

Sadly for you folks i think i am the person who bought the very last carbon 127mm FCD100. ☺ I have read rumars that the carbon versions were not popular and hence wont be made any longer and that all new FCD100 to be alu only. Its a real shame becuase i personally love the carbon for its light weight. The 127mm only weights 6.8kg compared to most apos of the same size weighing in at 13kg. 

Its easy to mount becuase of the weight. I love the carbin so much i have the 80mm and 127 bith in FCD100. The 80mm verson feels effortless at 2.5kg compair to my other TS 80mm which is 4.5kg! Its so light i use it as a super finder on my 12in Dob. 

If they where not carbon i would have most likely bought from another manufacturer such as TS or Altair Astro.

• 1 month later...
On 27/08/2016 at 23:03, Pingster said:

Sadly for you folks i think i am the person who bought the very last carbon 127mm FCD100. ☺ I have read rumars that the carbon versions were not popular and hence wont be made any longer and that all new FCD100 to be alu only. Its a real shame becuase i personally love the carbon for its light weight. The 127mm only weights 6.8kg compared to most apos of the same size weighing in at 13kg. 

Its easy to mount becuase of the weight. I love the carbin so much i have the 80mm and 127 bith in FCD100. The 80mm verson feels effortless at 2.5kg compair to my other TS 80mm which is 4.5kg! Its so light i use it as a super finder on my 12in Dob. 

If they where not carbon i would have most likely bought from another manufacturer such as TS or Altair Astro.

Hi. Interesting information. Thanks for that.

Weight aside, would you recommend one of these over (the much cheaper) SW ED80 DS-Pro if I could source one? The V2 is still available and also wondering if that is a better bet. Interesting that you are attaching your 80mm to your Dobo. I hadn't thought about that!

I have the aluminium ES ED80 Triplet (not FCD100) and the views are beautiful and flawless.  I weighed this up against the SW E80 when I was buying.  I'm really happy with my choice.  You can't beat a good triplet lens cell.  The SW ED80s are good doublets, but not triplets.

3 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

I have the aluminium ES ED80 Triplet (not FCD100) and the views are beautiful and flawless.  I weighed this up against the SW E80 when I was buying.  I'm really happy with my choice.  You can't beat a good triplet lens cell.  The SW ED80s are good doublets, but not triplets.

Thanks for the info. You've helped tip me over into going for the carbon V2 version :) I too want to attach it to my Dobo to begin with and the weight saved should help!

• 2 weeks later...

The 127mm Carbon FCD 100 is a fine scope. I also have the 80mm version. I hex focuser is very strong, but i must admit i hate the way the eyepieve view moves about when focusing, this make fine focus very difficult.

Ive directly compared the 80mm Carbon to a TS 80mm APO, and i have to say the TS80mm's view is that little bit better. If you are a picky observer only the TS will do. Keep in mind the TS weights in at about 4.5kg and the ES80mm 3.5kg. As a super finder the ES is fantastic for this reason. For daytime viewing. the ES i found has a much cleaner and clear picture than the TS. Would i sell the TS? I dont think so, tho i will use the ES more.... for critical observing the TS has that extra bit of resolution.

Ive looked thru a 100mm Tak, compared to my 127mm carbon, from memory here.... the tak resolved blue stars much better.... while in the ES the stars are predominately white looking. I love the 127 ES, will i get a Tak in the future? Of course i will. For that extra definition in star colors i will. Is the 127mm ES good? Yes its a very good scope. In a dark site crusing the milky way is lovely... bright DSOs such as Androm, Dumbelll Neb, Ring Neb.... look beautifully clear against a nice dark sky. Its a very fine scope.... but it will make you wonder what a take will show.

The moon with binos in the 127es is beautifully sharp, probably the sharpest/best contrast ive ever seen. One day will compare it side to side to my 12in SW Dob and report back.

Archived