Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 with 2 rigs at right angles

alacant

EQ6 with 2 imaging:guiding setups

1. Piggyback refractors. The EQ6 saddle points north-south in the parked position. The telescopes point north. No problem.

2. Side by side refractors. The EQ6 saddle needs to point east-west so that the telescopes point north. I need to rotate DEC 90º so that the side by side telescopes point in the same direction.

Is there an easy way to tell EQMOD+CDC about the 90º difference? TIA and clear skies.

It won't matter. I use a ADM Side by side and after you polar align you set your home position. That will be the new park position. As long as you don't unlock the clutches and rotate either axis it will keep that position in memory. Since the EQ6 doesn't have absolute encoders (think that what there called) the mount doesn't see the rotation when the clutches are unlocked. That's why it's imparitive not to unlock once you've done the Star alignment (ie. not the Polar alignment.)  If your using EQMOD try to add plate solving software to the system if you haven't already, that makes the Star Alignment easy or almost unneeded.  Also remember to delete previous star alignments from memory if you've torn down the setup or if you've unlocked the clutches and moved either access. 

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm with you. I will however need to rotate the DEC axis manually through 90°; the clutch will need to be unlocked and rotated but not using the motor. I don't suppose the mount knows anything about the puck orientation, nor should it matter for star alignment. 

7 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm with you. I will however need to rotate the DEC axis manually through 90°; the clutch will need to be unlocked and rotated but not using the motor. I don't suppose the mount knows anything about the puck orientation, nor should it matter for star alignment. 

You will have an issue with rotating the Dec axis 90°. You will not be able to use the polar scope, as the aperture in the Dec shaft will now be at 90° also therefore blocking the light to the polar scope. If you loosen the screws holding the puck, you can rotate the saddle 90° and this will allow you to view through your polar scope.

Steve

5 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

You will have an issue with rotating the Dec axis 90°. You will not be able to use the polar scope, as the aperture in the Dec shaft will now be at 90° also therefore blocking the light to the polar scope. If you loosen the screws holding the puck, you can rotate the saddle 90° and this will allow you to view through your polar scope.

Steve

My EQ6 most of been assembled differently as I need to rotate 90 to view with the polar scope. So by using my side by side saddles I get clear view of the pole with the Scope pointing north.

Hi. JTOL:

I think that you can attach the puck at any angle. But once you've set the home position -and in my case PEC- then the worm must be returned to this same position upon park. IOW you're OK moving the axes anywhere with the clutches unlocked so long as you do not move the RA motor during this time. Then return the puck to any starting position you like. In my case, N-S for the piggyback and E-W for the side by side.

I think I'm getting there:)

Archived