Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Scope Accessories

After much consideration and research I have decided to purchase an Orion xt10.  Seeing as this will be my first "real" telescope, I am unsure which additional eyepieces to get from the start.  My main interest is DSO therefore I was considering purchasing an eyepiece with a wider field of view.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a good starting point which will hold me over until I am ready to purchase additional eyepieces?  Thanks for the advice in advance!

Your telescope should come with a 25mm Plossl eyepiece, not fantastic but usable. I'd hang on and see how it performs first. The scope can take both 1.25 inch and 2 inch eyepieces, the latter can provide spectacular wide views but can be expensive. Some idea of your budget would be useful as EPs can range from $100 or less to $1000 or more.

At, I think, a focal ratio of f4.7, quite a lot of EPs will not perform well in your telescope.

At about $90, the Agena 32mm SWA represents very good value but will show considerable coma in the outer 20% of the view - still, if you can live with this it might be a reasonable option to get you going and then upgrade in the long term: http://agenaastro.com/agena-32mm-super-wide-angle-swa-eyepiece.html  This same EP is also marketed by other companies.

Considerably better would be the Baader Hyperion Aspheric 31mm at just over $200 - but again there are mixed opinions as to how well these work in fast scopes such as yours, some people like them others don't. http://agenaastro.com/baader-31mm-hyperion-aspheric-eyepiece.html

Most other tried and tested possibilities that I know are getting on for $300 or more. Hopefully other members of the forum can help!

I would suggest that the money would be best spent replacing the red dot finder with either a finder scope or a reflex sight like a Telrad or Rigel quickfinder.

The best eyepiece in the world is going to be of no use if you can't find the thing you are trying to look at.

I have used the red dot finder and I was not a fan so that is something I will definitely look into.  Thank you for the suggestion.

As far as the previous comment that a lot of EP's will not work well due to the focal length, is that something that should lead me away from the xt10?  I did not consider the focal length when I was trying to pick a scope.  I was between the xt8 and xt10 and decided to just pony up the extra cash now to have the larger aperture.

250mm of aperture is better than 200mm, and in the long term, investing in quality eyepieces is never a bad thing :icon_biggrin: It will pay off in the end, if you can just stick it out! Also remember that quality EPs will also stay with you even if you change your telescope.

With patience, you may be able to pick up good EPs second-hand; it's worth keeping an eye on sites such as astromart.com Joining a local astronomical society, if there's one in your area, can also be an excellent source of used equipment.

2 hours ago, JKstargazer said:

As far as the previous comment that a lot of EP's will not work well due to the focal length, is that something that should lead me away from the xt10?  I did not consider the focal length when I was trying to pick a scope.

I'm a relative newbie too and was asking similar questions recently. I think you've probably made a good scope choice but a fast scope REQUIRES good eyepieces. Slower scopes can get away with cheaper EP's. This is my understanding. if someone with more experience in such matters corrects me I'll stand aside! 

Hello and welcome to SGL. There is obviously Televue eyepieces, from plossel up to the expensive Ethos. Televue test there eyepieces to F4 if I remember correctly, so will work well in fast scopes.

I have a f4.7 dob so relatively fast. I have used William Optics uwan 82degree fov in it, and this is a nice eyepiece and worked well in my fast scope. I understand skywatcher Nirvana are the equivalent in this type of eyepiece, so this should also work well

I hope you like the above at it helps☺

Glad you know what scope you want to go for. Thats most of the battle won right there. I say stick with the stock eyepieces that the scope comes with and see how they perform and how you get along with them. Its your 1st scope so you really have not tried any other eyepieces to compare with.

Its the same for us all when we buy our 1st scope.

Best thing to do with eye pieces is to try before you buy. I know one or two folks with top class refractors who don't get on very well with Televue eye pieces and prefer much cheaper ones. Yet others with a bulk standard cheapo 200P newt absolutely love them. Thing is - it's very much a personal preference and down to how your eyes work with a particular scope/eyepiece combo. Bear in mind faster scopes  do get on better with higher quality glass than slow scopes.

Join a club or pop to a star party or two with your scope and you'll find most folks friendly enough to lend you an eyepiece to try in your scope so you get a good idea of what you do and don't like. Build a range of magnifications maybe 3-5 eyepieces between 8mm to 35mm evenly spread to suit your scope. Keep an eye on the classifieds cos you can get some very respectable pieces for a 2/3rds the price of brand new. Hth :)

Archived