NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hints and tips required on using a Ha filter with a DSLR.

As it says in the title, Is there anything I need to set on the camera or is it a case of dropping in the filter and away I go? The camera is a modded canon 600d. 

Oh, do you still need darks? and can I up the iso setting to 1600 without blowing out to much detail?

Im sure there are lots more I need to ask but that will do for starters! lol

Trying to prep for a session tomorrow as no work on Tuesday and the sky looks clear ( at the moment) apart from a big bright moon!

Thanks in advance.

Darks would always be a good idea to get rid of amp glow and hot pixels etc. Flats too, to get rid of dust bunnies and vignetting. Don't know how 1600 ISO behaves on the 600D. You could take a frame at 800 and one at 1600 and compare them zoomed right in.

How did you get on? 

A late reply... When using a Ha filter on my modded 1100D, I use my normal ISO/exposure settings and calibrate as usual too. Only, instead of debayering, just extract the red channel (I'm sure you now this already).

• 4 weeks later...

All its doing is giving you a better signal to sky glow ratio. As such you could do everything exactly as before, or you can push the exposure longer until you become limited by thermal noise. Either way you will get better contrast in your images, that being the whole point. I would keep the ISO at 800 though.

Archived