Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

July 16, 2016: Nice spots and some flaring

Just had a quick look with the Lunt 8x30 SUNoculars, and spotted some pretty large spots trailing the big AR. I grabbed the SolarMax-II 60 DS, and after tuning spotted some flaring amongst these new spots. Several areas of bright plage dot the disk, and some dark filaments could also be seen. There is a delicate arcing prom in the north-west, and a thin long one in the north-east. Couldn't do any imaging, because the sun is rapidly sinking behind houses and clouds in the west.

great report Michael, yer Iain caught the new spots in his image thismorrning, thay look very nice, i noticed yesterday in the WL vis there where 5 or six small pores in the area , thay must of developed into sizeable spots over the night. its been cloudy allday here, hope its clear tomorrow so we can all get a look i hate missing the action.thanks charl.

15 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Just had a quick look with the Lunt 8x30 SUNoculars, and spotted some pretty large spots trailing the big AR. I grabbed the SolarMax-II 60 DS, and after tuning spotted some flaring amongst these new spots. Several areas of bright plage dot the disk, and some dark filaments could also be seen. There is a delicate arcing prom in the north-west, and a thin long one in the north-east. Couldn't do any imaging, because the sun is rapidly sinking behind houses and clouds in the west.

That's a wonderful description Michael, I almost feel I was there - it got me quite excited!

Archived