Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR focus through telescope

I got the chance albeit very briefly last night to try my new DSLR at prime focus on the scope and as I expected with it being a newtonian there was not enough in focus. It was nearly there but not quite. I also noticed my crosshair EP would not focus either. I know this a common problem when imaging with Newts. Can anyone tell me an easy way to remedy this. I am guessing that with the way the scope is made I will have to cut a piece off the end of the tube and this should move the focal plane away from the tube. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Its a 2" focuser so I bought a 2" T adapter and I only have a 1.25" barlow. Also with the focal length of 1200mm I think it may be to much magnification. I might try a 2" barlow and see what its like. I was just thinking that to quickly cut 20mm or so off the end of the tube would cost nothing. It would leave me with plenty of focus for eyepieces aswell.

May be the solution is to try a low profile focuser?  I would suggest that before making any modifications in your scope you are absolutely sure that what you are planning to do is going to have the desired impact.

a few mm might be all you need, i had the same problem with my f5 200p when using a CC, i only had to move the mirror 3 mm up the tube witch gave 6mm more inwards focus travel, you might need to get longer springs but its a lot easyer than chopping the tube. charl.  ps you could allways put some washers at the base of the spings if theres room.

I had the same problems with my SW130P. I opted for shortening the tube as I didn't intend using it for visual in future. I shortened mine by about 20mm, which was fine until I bought a coma corrector, and had to cut a further 10mm off to achieve focus!

John

Archived