Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Afocal Moon

Knighty2112

After what seemed like eons, I had a slight break in the clouds for an while just after the France v Albania footie match which revealed the moon. So, after a little observation I decided I'd try a hand again at getting a shot of it with my IPhone 6+ through the eyepiece. Took quite a few shots, so going to work on some of the images, but for now I thought this one came out pretty well. Taken through my ST120 frac, with my 17mm Vixen LV EP. Originally with a blue filter to take some of the glare out of the moon, but tweaked on my IPad to show some of the seas better, so it turned out black and white instead. :)

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shot knighty, you caught some lovely detail mate, colour and shade is bang on mate.well done.thanks charl.

Thanks Charl. Very pleased with the outcome for this shot, especially as it is an afocal shot. Got lots more taken last night, some with higher magnification, so I'm going to see if I can get any of them  up to the same standard as the one above. :) 

13 hours ago, cpittman35 said:

Those are awesome images.  I'm looking at buying a mount to put on my eyepiece to help me get better pictures.  I have a hard time keeping my phone in one place long enough to get good pictures haha. 

The EP's I used to get the images have larger viewing lenses on them, so although you still have to get the phone camera in the right place, it is a little easier than trying to use any Plossl EP, which apart from my 32mm one have much smaller viewing lenses on them and are practically impossible to align the phone camera up with. 

13 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

The EP's I used to get the images have larger viewing lenses on them, so although you still have to get the phone camera in the right place, it is a little easier than trying to use any Plossl EP, which apart from my 32mm one have much smaller viewing lenses on them and are practically impossible to align the phone camera up with. 

What brand or type EP's do you use if you don't mind my asking? I can't stand the super small holes in my higher magnification EP's. I'm still a complete noob at this stuff but man it sure is fun. 

3 minutes ago, cpittman35 said:

What brand or type EP's do you use if you don't mind my asking? I can't stand the super small holes in my higher magnification EP's. I'm still a complete noob at this stuff but man it sure is fun. 

In 1.25" sizes I have a 4.5mm TMB Planetary II, a Wiliiams Optics 6mm SPL, a Vixen 17mm LV, an Explore Scientific 20mm 68 degree Maxvision, and in 2" size I have a Explore Scientific 25mm 70 degree. All these EP's have much larger exit lenses to look through over all my other Plossl EP's I have. I want to add another 2" 68 degree Maxivision EP in either 34mm or 40mm size to my collection at a later date this year. Quite a mixed bag of EP's, but happy with all of them. :) 

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

In 1.25" sizes I have a 4.5mm TMB Planetary II, a Wiliiams Optics 6mm SPL, a Vixen 17mm LV, an Explore Scientific 20mm 68 degree Maxvision, and in 2" size I have a Explore Scientific 25mm 70 degree. All these EP's have much larger exit lenses to look through over all my other Plossl EP's I have. I want to add another 2" 68 degree Maxivision EP in either 34mm or 40mm size to my collection at a later date this year. Quite a mixed bag of EP's, but happy with all of them. :) 

Thank you very much for the info. I'll look into expanding my very small EP starter collection :) 

Archived