Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6th June - 3 planets, M13 and the ISS, great night

Peco4321

Another great night last night:

Jupiter - lovely clear views and surface details quite clear all the way through 25mm down to 10mm through 2 x Barlow. Disappeared behind neighbors trees but not before I could see all three planets across the sky, lovely view. 

Mars - again fairly sharp views, had to reposition a couple of times due to neighbors chimney stack, can't make out much detail but beautiful colour. 

Saturn - I love this planet, every time I see it, the smile widens on my face and last night was no exception. Lovely colour again and rings very crisp, but still can't make out the divisions. Think I could see the odd moon as well. 

M13 - starting to really like this cluster, making out more detail every time I view it. 

ISS - exciting time tracking this through finder scope while taking pictures at prime focus. Was a bit low but got lots of images to sort through later and I'll post them tonight. 

All in all, a great night but feeling tired now as Sunday was a late one as well, 01:30 and 00:30 last night, both nights followed by early starts at work as well so a bit of image processing tonight and an early night. I love this hobby, clear skies everyone. 

24 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

ISS - exciting time tracking this through finder scope while taking pictures at prime focus. Was a bit low but got lots of images to sort through later and I'll post them tonight. 

Great report thanks for posting. Bravo for catching the ISS! Were you tracking on an AZ mount?

I've tried tracking the ISS in my scope for a 25mm (x40) EP on an EQ5, but found it almost impossible. I have only managed to see a fast white streak across my FOV on one occasion.  I have resigned myself to setting an ambush and waiting for the ISS to transit the sun or moon!

I love the enthusiasm on this forum :)

nice report. The ISS is a tricky little so and so, I imagine it is nearly impossible to track with an EQ mount, as it doesn't play by the same rules as the stars.

I was using my Skywatcher 150p on eq3-2. Unlocked the RA and DEC lock things and just got the scope set up at a nice height so i could swoop it around while peering through the finder. Had the shutter release cable in one hand holding the bottom of the scope and other hand sort of hooked around the opening at the top. Good fun, certainly didn't need my 2 fleeces on?

Picture of screen of camera. Will upload proper pictures tonight. 

image.jpeg

Cracking stuff. Sessions that leave you smiling are what it's all about! Great work chasing the ISS, and seeing more in M13. Returning to a target and seeing something new is a great feeling and shows that you're getting a good eye for it. Keep up the good work :-)

Great shot of the ISS, Peter.

I managed to see it clearly in my scope at x40 this evening for the first time! Although my wife got a better view as I guided using the Telrad. Flyover here was at 22:35 and I was just setting up to look at Jupiter when I realised it was due in a few minutes. 

Inspired by the OP's shot of the ISS I managed to get my own last night as it passed by Jupiter last night at a distance of 860km from my location. A poorer effort than Peter's image but just about recognizable. Using Canon EOS750d DSLR on SW200p, shutter speed was 1/500 ISO 6400.

I just set the camera to fire off continuously (I guess I was getting perhaps 5 fps?) at same shutter speed & iso settings while I guided the scope. All images I got were overexposed. Next time I'll see if my intervalometer can fire off a number of images at a range of shutter speeds. 

ISS 16.jpg

39 minutes ago, joncrawf said:

Inspired by the OP's shot of the ISS I managed to get my own last night as it passed by Jupiter last night at a distance of 860km from my location. A poorer effort than Peter's image but just about recognizable. Using Canon EOS750d DSLR on SW200p, shutter speed was 1/500 ISO 6400.

I just set the camera to fire off continuously (I guess I was getting perhaps 5 fps?) at same shutter speed & iso settings while I guided the scope. All images I got were overexposed. Next time I'll see if my intervalometer can fire off a number of images at a range of shutter speeds. 

ISS 16.jpg

Still recognisable as the ISS though so well done. I do enjoy the frantic nature of this side of astronomy compared to the relative calm of observing other things. 

My settings were 1/1250 and 6400 ISO.  Check this out:

Typical, its disappearing for a while soon. 

That's a useful video Peter - particularly for camera settings. I think it's going to take a few more goes to get it just right. I think that 1/1250 shutter speed would be about right for me too. 

I think I'll get myself a 2" Barlow to use with the DSLR. The image of the ISS was very small in the FOV and it's bright enough I'm sure to handle a bit more mag. 

Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I went out with new set up last Wednesday looked at M13 the difference between my 6inch and now the 8inch unbelievable gorgeous cluster. 

Feeling jealous now. 

Archived