NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 6 June

For some reason, I didn't get as good a blue channel (with RGB camera) as I did before, but I'm quite pleased with the detail in this one, 12 minute capture. Shame about the red halo, I was using an IR filter, but I guess it was haze-related.

Mars six runs.jpg

7 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Cool, that's a nice result using drizzle. My images just pixalate when I try that.

Mine sued to as well, but now I avoid using fine scales for sharpening or contrast enhancement and hat seems to stop it (unless overdone)

A technique for getting higher resolution out of low res images.

If you imagine each pixel of an image representing an area on the target, it obviously averages out smaller features than the pixel size. If you have a lot of pixels and they aren't perfecly aligned with each other (so each one covers a slightly different bit of the target), you can over lay the low-res pixels on a higher resolution grid. Each big pixel is allowed to 'drizzle' a contribution to each small pixel depending on how much it overlaps with it, and as each big pixels covers a slightly different area the average contributions to each small pixel gradually result in a higher-resolution image emerging.

It doesn't work unless there is drift between each image, so for planets (that generally jump all over the place) it's ideal. With too-few images the results become obviously pixellated, especially when sharpened.

Archived