NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Microsoft Lynx

Having just replaced the family laptop and so far failed to get to grips with the guiding software that came with the Toupcam camera, given the time the rest of the family give me to use the machine, I have been considering alternatives.

In Sainsbury's today I noticed that they were discounting the Microsoft Lynx tablet (which up to that time I had never heard of) so it occurred to me that putting PHD on it (I gather PHD is user friendly), or the Touptek software, the tablet would make and ideal basis for guidance and of course be more easily portable than the laptop.

I wonder if any other forum member has used the Lynx. It would only ever be used as a guidance computer as other needs would be met by the more normal desktop/laptop machines.  

I would not use it for recording video.

Any thoughts would be welcome. - John 

It'll work, as it has a full version of Windows on it. You would need a powered USB On The Go cable to allow it to work as a host device for your guide camera. I have one and have played with using it with my PoleMaster and it does work. It also works with a ASI174 camera.

The problem that I have found is that Windows doesn't really work on a small screen. It's nigh on impossible to select icons unless you use a stylus. I would think that PHD might be OK though as you only need to select one star.

5 hours ago, Pompey Monkey said:

A second hand laptop can be had from a well known auction site for the same amount, complete with windows 7. This will give you much more scope for future configurations.

Thanks Paul, I take your point. In fact I do have a decent laptop and indeed an iPad but the laptop does tend to get used a fair bit by the rest of the family. I was looking for something the size of the iPad but running the Windows OS which could handle the guiding software and be more portable than a typical 15.6" laptop and with a reasonable battery life. That said most of the small tablets that run windows appear to be limited to the 32 bit platform and I am currently unsure if, for instance, PHD requires 64 bit. 

Archived