NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Question on here.

I think the first thing I need to invest in is an AC adapter for my Meade ETX125, batteries are just so expensive, I have seen many in my internet searches but they seem quite expensive, around £45-£50, would this be about the correct price for this adapter?

Welcome to SGL :)

It would be a good investment, because not only are batteries expensive, but the ETX is very power sensitive and it starts acting erratically once the power level drops. I found this very frustrating with mine (particularly as I didn't know what was causing it!!) and I wasted a lot of time. So go for it!

Helen

You could get the Astro Engineering AC337 AC/DC power supply. This will let you power your ETX either from the mains, or from a 12v power tank for extra portability. I got mine ex shop display from ebay for the bargain price of 99p but they retail for £25.

Regards

Richard.

Dan Dare's suggestion of a power tank is well worth considering. It will run the scope for several nights without recharging and it allows you to use the scope anywhere. I'm running my GOTO on the same 12v gel battery I bought from Maplin 10 years ago.

If you get an adaptor make sure ii is a regulated power supply, that way it will not put a huge voltage spike to your electronics if it fails.

Scotastro

We got a power-supply in for testing a while back but then changed our mind completely about stocking power-supplies.

Its a UNI 1200R, nicely made, quite heavy/chunky, AC 230V-12V, 1200mA regulated supply with the correct lead/plug. I think they are supposed to sell at £25-30 but you can have this one for £15.

PM if interested :)

Wow what a response, thanx very much. I will leave the power tank for the time being as for the present I will be using my telescope from home, but shall certainly consider this for the future. Dan Dare I shall order the one you gave me a link for when my wife and I return from our holiday in a few weeks. Steve many thanx for the kind offer but shall invest in a new one to start. Helen its nice to know what you said about the power wavering on the ETX, I shall remember this should it happen.

Ok Piper :)

I have received a number of PMs asking whether the power supply offered will run a HEQ5 or EQ6 PRO, it won't. We sourced it back when we stocked ETX scopes and its output and lead is suited to that or similar. For a HEQ5/EQ6 you'd need at least 3A. I rely on Andy at Astronomiser for advice on power (manufactures our leads and cables) and he recommends is the XM21x from Maplins.

You would also need a suitable power lead.

HTH

Archived