Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tunnel vision

I've done the collimation in my house, sort of larger than a small flat, almost the other end of focus travel with a normal EP.  Your long tunnel might need a flat of Football field size, and you might need to drill a hole in upstair neighbor's floor to see the light in tunnel:icon_biggrin:

To artificially star test you need a really long base line otherwise you can introduce spherical aberration into the test as the wavefronts entering the telescope will still be spherical rather than plane wave.  This can either make you think the scope is no good, or potentially cancel out an inherent problem hiding an issue that is present.  Once you the artificial star is sufficient distance away that problem will fall below your detection limit and the waves will essentially be plane.

21 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

To artificially star test you need a really long base line otherwise you can introduce spherical aberration into the test as the wavefronts entering the telescope will still be spherical rather than plane wave.  This can either make you think the scope is no good, or potentially cancel out an inherent problem hiding an issue that is present.  Once you the artificial star is sufficient distance away that problem will fall below your detection limit and the waves will essentially be plane.

Thanks - I won't be trying this indoor again....

Archived