NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

JFK and the Space Race 25 May 1961

I'm guessing a lot of, ah-em, older SGL members like me grew up and were inspired by the Space Race. Today in history, 25 May 1961, President J F Kennedy delivered his famous speech before a joint session of Congress in which he laid down the challenge of putting a man on the Moon.

There's an article here: http://earthsky.org/space/this-date-in-science-kennedy-speech-ignites-dreams-of-moon?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=4bc31d47b0-EarthSky_News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-4bc31d47b0-394604141

The video records the beginning of the speech (not the Space part) but helps to put it in context. There's also a link to an audio file of the complete 45 minute speech. The Space part starts at at approx 30 min 45 sec.

On 5/25/2016 at 16:16, Putaendo Patrick said:

I'm guessing a lot of, ah-em, older SGL members like me grew up and were inspired by the Space Race. Today in history, 25 May 1961, President J F Kennedy delivered his famous speech before a joint session of Congress in which he laid down the challenge of putting a man on the Moon.

There's an article here: http://earthsky.org/space/this-date-in-science-kennedy-speech-ignites-dreams-of-moon?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=4bc31d47b0-EarthSky_News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-4bc31d47b0-394604141

The video records the beginning of the speech (not the Space part) but helps to put it in context. There's also a link to an audio file of the complete 45 minute speech. The Space part starts at at approx 30 min 45 sec.

Hi Putaendo,

I am of the age to remember it all vividly and a tremendously exciting time it was. I recall just as vividly the election battle between Kennedy and Nixon, I was 8 years old and our primary school teacher thought it a good idea to get the class to vote during a lesson. The result , I do not remember, but I voted for Kennedy simply because I liked his face better than Nixon's; Maybe I could detect that there was something tricky about Dickie even then !:happy11:

One of the best nights I ever remember was when serving behind a bar in 1969.

July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC

The pub went on as usual drink, chatter, laughter and darts. But for a few of us, a memorable night filled with excitment. I got called all sorts of names because I was watching the TV as I was serving pints, a wee bit too slow for many regular customers liking.

Nothing should ever get between a man and his pint, not even history!

Derek

I just about have memories of watching some live space stuff on television when I was a kid.  But I don't know if it was Armstrong et al or another landing.

Kennedy's doctor was an interesting fellow.  He eventually  lost his licence to practice medicine.  He has been referred to as Dr Feelgood.  It seems that JFK may have spent a considerable portion of his time in 'outer space' https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Max_Jacobson&oldid=712485934

Archived