Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads up prog' about weather forecasting on BBC4 now

Davey-T

Well in terms of evening forecasts im convinced they are not really interested and as long as they get rain forecast roughly right thats good enough.

In terms of day forecasts well thats different. As a daily cycle commuter i rely heavily on rain and temperature forecasts and i honestly cant tell you how often they are wrong. Not just a bit out but completely out. I often used to arrive to work absolutely soaked due to misinformation or sweltering in waterproofs as a warm sun beat down on me. And its not just the beeb weather forecast after all i believe they just get their forecast from the met office. It seems anyone who draws data from that source suffers the same unreliable projections. Now i know its a industry thats always taken a pounding but im sure in the past they used to be able to get rain forecasts reasonably correct. But it seems to me with the advance of technology we have taken a backward step in trying to predict the weather and i dont even look at forecasts know, i just look out the window and try and guess for the rest of the day which seems to be a little more accurate. Not sure if today they just try to be so accurate that it actually becomes inaccurate if that makes sense.

35 minutes ago, symesie04 said:

Well in terms of evening forecasts im convinced they are not really interested and as long as they get rain forecast roughly right thats good enough.

In terms of day forecasts well thats different. As a daily cycle commuter i rely heavily on rain and temperature forecasts and i honestly cant tell you how often they are wrong. Not just a bit out but completely out. I often used to arrive to work absolutely soaked due to misinformation or sweltering in waterproofs as a warm sun beat down on me. And its not just the beeb weather forecast after all i believe they just get their forecast from the met office. It seems anyone who draws data from that source suffers the same unreliable projections. Now i know its a industry thats always taken a pounding but im sure in the past they used to be able to get rain forecasts reasonably correct. But it seems to me with the advance of technology we have taken a backward step in trying to predict the weather and i dont even look at forecasts know, i just look out the window and try and guess for the rest of the day which seems to be a little more accurate. Not sure if today they just try to be so accurate that it actually becomes inaccurate if that makes sense.

To be honest a barometer a pine cone and looking out the window is all you need for local weather.

Alan

58 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

It's about the history of weather forecasting, very interesting worth and watching on iPlayer.

A series so on again on Monday.

Dave

My apologies Dave i completely misread the question. Happy viewing!

8 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Thanks for the tip off Dave. I enjoyed this and am looking forward to the next episode. 

I didnt know Fitzroy was instrumental (poss. Pun) in the birth of weather forecasting/meteorology. 

I think they named one of the shipping forecast areas after him.

Dave

Archived