NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Photography with the skywatcher evostar 80ed

That would work too... pretty sure there was a reason I didn't do that before, but cant, for the life of me, think what it might have been...? but, just goes to show that, although you may have trouble balancing, there are many ways to solve that problem!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

I actually have an second hand QSI ccd but I don't tend to use it much due to bad skies I've just photographed the sunflower with it. I will be doing dslr until my stuff get well. And for the balancing, why don't u move the scope but loosing the Rings and moving the scope? 

Yeah, I think you're right.  I had a look at this earlier this evening.  It turns out that the dovetail bar that comes with the scope has a slot in it in addition to two countersunk holes either end to which the rings are attached.  I found that by  moving the rearmost ring from the end of the bar to the slot, it is possible to move the scope far enough forward in the rings to get balance.  I certainly wouldn't let balance put you off buying this great little scope. :icon_biggrin:

I simply used a longer dovetail as well. I used to use an ST80 piggybacked, but now just use a finder guider, as it makes the whole thing easier to manage and a bit lighter. The original dovetail is on top for both stability and an easy way of carrying it all.

IMG_0898-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Astroboy239 said:

Which ccd is that? 

Varad 

It is a Starlight Xpress SXVR-694. I used an Atik 414ex for about a year and picked this one up recently second hand. Don't think you need a CCD for imaging though when starting out. With the flattener, you can get some amazing DSLR shots with the ED80. The flattener is required because DSLR chips are so big, without it, the stars rapidly become eggy and distorted away from the center. Here is a DSLR image using the ED80, and was one of the first big DSO images I took once I got the hang of it. The main learning skills come in processing the data, it took a lot of practice and experimentation to rework the original images into these versions, but practice and perseverance work wonders:

M42%20Orion%20Nebula-X2.jpg

Archived