NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I want to make my own solar filter

Jimtheslim

I plan to make a dust cover fitting for mine, I intend to draw around my dust cap and add extra pieces then get a strip if cardboard and make a rim around the disc using the extra rectangle pieces bent over for more support and stability to it then cut a large enough circle in the center and put some solar filament on it (probably taped or glued)

35 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I think Baader Solar Film comes with handy "Blue Peter" style instructions for making a simple cardboard mounting for the film

Yes it does - I made mine for the 200P-DS from some layers of 50mm wide 300gsm card for the tube and two layers with the filter sandwiched between picture framing card

Setup1.jpg

--

Mark

I do like a good DIY project! Could I possibly just apply film to the inside of my dust cover and then open the small aperture when I want to observe? I guess I would have to work on some kind of fail-safe way of applying it so it couldn't slip.

you could do but you'd be better making one for your 90mm refractor of this were the case as you'd get 90mm aperture not 50mm. personally, I'd recommend buying a Lunt Wedge though as to me there's no comparison in the views. more expensive yes but a one-off investment.

21 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

you could do but you'd be better making one for your 90mm refractor of this were the case as you'd get 90mm aperture not 50mm. personally, I'd recommend buying a Lunt Wedge though as to me there's no comparison in the views. more expensive yes but a one-off investment.

I am looking to sell the frac to pay (retrospectively) toward the new dob. 

Archived