SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1:10 focuser upgrade

I think that's a pretty cheap way to upgrade to dual speed if you compare it with the cost of these things generally. What's your objective in going for a dual speed? I never feel the need in visual but it's useful in imaging.

If you are imaging then you can easily make a tangent arm fine focuser. It doesn't offer enough travel for eyepiece swapping but works well for imaging. I made this while waiting for a missing part to turn up for my Tak FSQ106N fine focuser. I found it worked so well that I preferred it to the Tak dual speed and I've continued to use it. (And no, it won't wine a beauty contest!!)

MICROFOCUS1-L.jpg

The smallest asjustment I ever make is a 90 degree turn on the black knob. This system also guards against draw tube slippage without having to use a lock screw which always affects focus. And all these features for about a Euro! :hello2:

:icon_mrgreen:lly

Tia

that looks like a very neat solution. This would be a great solution you are planning on doing any high magnification work.

I do like Olly's solution. My entire astro budget (plus a bit) has mysteriously disappeared with the appearance of a new scope. It has a single speed shocker for a focuser. So a DIY sollution for a couple of months could be a good option.

Paul

Yep. Brilliant. I don't have a handy end-of-dovetail, but something just clicked...

My reason is for APT focusing. It's frustrating having to leave it close enough; even the smallest of movement takes it through focus. In fact, your idea is great as I can glue a say, 15cm stick onto one of the knobs. That'll give me big movement for little turn. And I can do it today.

May I now claim last place in the scope beauty contest? No stick yet but any ideas...?IMG_20160522_105518266.jpg

1 hour ago, alacant said:

I got around to it. No glue!

abrazadera.jpg

That's exactly how I did it the first time on an early TV Genesis, using a Junbilee clip. In fact TV used to make such a thing which they called a wand.

Olly

Archived