NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Click-Lock 2" for refractors HELP

Does anyone know if the https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-click-lock-2956256-m56-celestron-skywatcher.html reduces inward focus by any. It seems to me to add some length (back focus) to the draw tube over the original thumbscrew set up where as FLO's https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/flo-compression-ring-adapter-synta-skywatcher.html adapter looks it may be a swap like for like adding no additional length to the draw tube?? I see out of the 2 adapters the Baader seems the better of the two but I struggle to have enough inward travel with some of my eyepiece combinations.

I think the term "optical path 37mm" implies that the Baader adapter does use up some inwards focuser travel ?

Probably best to ask FLO for the definative answer.

I can't get enough inward travel, mind you mind is on a Newt & with an DSLR attached! I can't reach focus with it in the setup. it push's the camera to far out to gain focus.

Not to sure if that would be the case with eyepieces though.

These adapters screw directly into the drawtube to replace whatever you have there now. As long as they are no higher than what they replace you lose no inward travel (but may lose outward). I use an Antares twist lock adapter http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-2-125-twist-lock-adaptor-.html which sits in the 2" socket. I then added a turret eyepiece holder and found I needed more inward travel, so replaced the stock 2" socket on my Skywatcher with a low profile one (can't remember brand or find a link).

Yeah you lose some inward travel from the standard one that comes with the SW refractors as length of the Baader ClickLock is definitely longer.  Fortunately all my eyepieces are OK but my 22mm SWA-80 I have about 2mm of inward focus remaining so it's a close call.  Perhaps there's some difference in the optic path between different diagonals so that may be worth investigating if the difference is only by a small amount?

Clicklock does increase the need of infocus travel.

I've just done a little test on the Moon with 80ED and Stock 10:1 focuser with Clicklock clamp.

1. With 2" prism diagonal: no problem with any of my EPs, the two zooms (Leica and Baader) need most infocus, have about 24mm to spare.

2. With 2" Baader maxbright mirror diagonal: no problem either, but much less spare, only 4mm with the two zooms. 

3.  With 2" Baader maxbright mirror diagonal+baader 2" to 1.25" reducer(12mm light path): MV24mm has 9mm to spare, BCO 10mm has 7.5mm left.

With the stock two setscrew clamp, same setup as 3, BCO 10mm has 12.5mm left, i.e. Clicklock clamp eats up 5mm infocus than the stock clamp.

You can check your EP's relative focus position in your scope to make a first judgement.

Archived