NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GRS 03/05/16

Just a quick session last night, Wanted to try and image the GRS and shadow transit which was a bit of a disaster, but not unexpected - limitations of the equipment. I like to push the boundaries and I think they've now started pushing back I imaged using the webcam in the 2xBarlow supplied with the scope, less said the better!

Anyhoo, once I got some video recorded I then spent 50 minutes at the eyepiece observing at the eyepiece and it was delightful. All mainly observed at 10mm, although I did struggle with the same in the 2xBarlow for some reason  (conditions and it being quite early so not being completely dark yet so I don't think contrast was perfect - I might be wrong)

GRS stood out, even before my eye was in, a vibrant orange/red on the small disc. Some detail/structure in the NEB and SEB including an oval intersecting the NEB from above. Also very faint hints of the equatorial belt. I could have stayed out longer but after 50 minutes it got mushy and I couldn't concentrate hard enough.

It does continue to astonish me the detail you see when you put the effort in, even with my mediocre instrument/kit.

Archived