Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Evolution 8 - Starsense perfect by handset; constant failure by Skyportal App

Hello all

My Skyportal App seems completely unable to work properly with my Evo 8. starsense  If I try and align via starsense via the handset, it works perfectly.  But that is no use if I want to use the Skyportal App; you have to align via the Skyportal App if you want to use the app.  That in itself seems daft that the app can't simply accept that the telescope is aligned via the handset.

Unfortunately trying to align via the app results in the scope spinning round and round, or turning upside-down.  It's completely confused.  If it does manage 3 out of 3 alignments, it finally announces 'alignment failure - error too large, please try again'.

Yesterday and today I tried over 10 times, with persistent failure.  But the moment I tried the handset, it worked perfectly, first time.

So I know the app is the fault here.  The tablet has the right date and location. The Android app is version 1.5.6.

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?

Much appreciated

Ian

I do not have StarSense - I either use the HC, or SkyPortal and the WiFi Module.  All I can say is aligning and controlling through that app and the tablet has always worked well.  Sometimes it wants to go too far, so I have my finger ready to stop the slewing!  Otherwise fine.

Can't you remove/disable the StarSense and just use the app?  (I thought StarSense was just an alignment aid, so is not needed if you do that with SkyPortal.)

Doug.

3 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Can't you remove/disable the StarSense and just use the app?  (I thought StarSense was just an alignment aid, so is not needed if you do that with SkyPortal.)

Doug.

Well, I only just got the starsense! :)  When it works, it works absolutely perfectly; it zooms around by itself for 2 minutes and then you have perfect alignment.  It makes you far more inclined to move the scope around the garden if you have obstacles, as it realigns so easily.

But it's a massive drawback to not be able to use the skyportal app. And the skyportal app should work fine with starsense....

If I align with the HC, then I can't use SkyPortal.  So I have to connect and align with S/P - the alignment is quick and easy - just go for any three bright objects.  

Hope someone with experience of S/S can help you further!

Doug.

Been there too with my Evo 8 and its Starsense. Frustrating to resolve such issues between too few clear nights. But fortunately I also have an SE4 with Starsense, so I have eventually worked it out (I think); and  I now get 100% accuracy with  both telescopes.

Your problems probably relate to one (or all) of time/date; location;  and calibration.

On first use with the hand controller (HC), you get opportunity to set these. Frankly, I can't remember if it's the same on first use with Wi-Fi/Android/I-Pad, but on ANY second attempt StarSense will remember  camera calibration and location.

That's fine if you have set those  correctly. I am not embarrassed to say I forgot to take off the StarSense camera lens cap on first attempt! It then doesn't ask you again for these settings (other than time/date). Mine hence remained set to a California default. Ooops! No wonder my OTA looked in the wrong direction.

Here, the manual is useless. You possibly now need to set location via ''menu' before your next 'auto align' and once again do 'calibrate' and 'align' again. Do so using the handset. Take account of daylight saving time, else all your GOTOS will be 15 degrees west of FOV (e.g. one hour).

If you instead  attempt to use the Wi-Fi, and SkyPortal, your initial options are only 'align' or 'connect and align'. So If the HC still holds the wrong location and calibration data it doesn't over write it. Your tablet GPS might also disagree with the HC data. Always enter longitude and latitude, as  there are not enough (UK) 'city' options in StarSense for perfection (unless you live in London or Glasgow). Also check your tablet and HC is correctly set to current time and current location. I came back from Vietnam and nearly crocked my scope as it looked beyond the equator.

To add to the complications, if you don't tell your tablet to 'forget' your home Wi-Fi network, you will probably suffer conflicts and drop outs. If your locality is very Wi-Fi cluttered, other networks might interfere. Failed or flakey Wi-Fi might also leave you with incorrect or incomplete stored data. So I suggest you use ONLY the handset to set  location and get calibration resolved, even if you do intend to use ONLY Wi-Fi on third use. 

Once set, then don't try to use both HC and Tablet in the same session. The temptation to do so exists when you discover it is hard to manage slew controls on a tablet due to having no tactile finger feedback. Yes, the HC slew buttons will work, but touch any other button and your Evo' will lock up and slew wildly due to the conflict between controllers. You really must use only one or other controller.

To be frank, I eventually gave up with SkyPortal and Wi-Fi. I now use that OFF-LINE  simply to guide me. I now use only the StarSense HC for control, always checking location (via menu) before 'align'.  I can still read and hear all the SkyPortal APP information. But it's just as easy to navigate using only the HC. The other features of the Evo are so good, who actualy needs it's W-Fi (e.g. manual clutches, built in battery etc). 

Lastly, when setting time/date and location, remember 'back' means accept the stored data and go forward  (illogical!). 'Enter' means go back and change settings. The manual must have been translated from Chinese. But it's fantastic to do a Sky Tour (via HC) and have every GOTOS smack in the middle of your EP when ALL your settings are correct. Of course, there could be a fault, but that's less likely.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I have just confirmed what you already know! But that should assist as the doubt and frustration is agony. But I forgot something...

Sorry, What I didn't say was you might need to reset location via your tablet. But note that it doesn't seem to pick it up from the normal SkyPortal 'settings' except on FIRST use,. But that glitch is exactly the same via the HC which seeks only time/date on any subsequent use (do before 'align' or 'connect and align').

With the HC, you hence need to go via 'menu' to reset location as you otherwise don't get a second chance during 'align'.. I have not checked this as I gave up with WiFi (local interference too great)  but I suspect you may have to do so on-line on Sky Portal via a route other  than via 'settings'. I am confident this problem is about location and it not taking that data from the tablet whilst ignoring the HC.. I too am in North Essex, so happy to compare notes. You might even need to do a factory reset if you want to persevere with WiFi to get back to a first use scenario.

BTW, I have heard these problems don't occur with the stand alone WiFi accessory which is shielded from interference differently. This confirms a comment above.

Edited by noah4x4
error

9 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

Been there too with my Evo 8 and its Starsense. Frustrating to resolve such issues between too few clear nights. But fortunately I also have an SE4 with Starsense, so I have eventually worked it out (I think); and  I now get 100% accuracy with  both telescopes.

Your problems probably relate to one (or all) of time/date; location;  and calibration.

Hi Noah

Thanks so much for this. You have suffered precisely the same issues as myself.  I only read this reply this morning (Friday) after yet another night of completely confused alignment last night, this time with a new install of the Skyportal Programme on my new mobile phone. 

This morning (before I read your post!) I went through all the menu options on the HC and noted just what you'd mentioned!  The instruction manual is not aligned with the options on the handset; it never prompts you for location and I had to go looking.  I was set to California and I figured that whatever was supposed to be happening via the tablet's GPS, it wasn't.  So I've set that location to London for now.

I have got the wifi sorted though; I now use 'Access Point' control and it works flawlessly through my home wifi network; this has removed all interference as it's the only network that was present.  If you have another go at that, simply connect your tablet to the scope wifi but do not select 'connect' or 'connect and align'.  You only need to be connected to the scope wifi.

Go into the settings, communications setting. Before you change setting, you must enter the 'configure access point' button, set your home network's name (SSID) and the home network password.  Tick 'DHCP client' to let the home router set the IP address of the scope automatically for you.  Then press 'send to telescope' (can't remember the precise words).  Only then can you amend to 'Access Point' from 'Use Direct Control'.  

Remember to flick the micro switch below AUX 2 into the down position, then switch on your scope inside the house if possible to let it get a good lock on the home router's network.  Then open SkyPortal with your tablet on the home network and select 'connect'. and see if the direction arrows control the scope. If they do, you're set.

Anyway, tonight should be another warm clear night. We'll see how tonight goes!

Cheers,

Ian

Isn't it a tragedy that the Celestron manuals are so awful! I will try your Evolution Wi-Fi solution Ian, but my BT Home hub is so rubbish I won't hold my breath!

Whatever the 'settings' in my Android, it does seems to ignore 'location' on any second use.  It only asks for that on first use, and I assume the HC setting then takes precedence. Like most people with this technology, I started ONLY with Android control for my Evo', but I obviously got it wrong first up, so the HC/scope  remained in 'California',  But given there is no further prompt on subsequent use to check/change 'location' via Android (or HC) I suffered wild slews like you. Puzzling, because the Android was always correctly set to North Essex by Long/Lat. So one naturally assumes it's a more sinister issue. Retailers must hate this!

To be frank, I didn't work it out until I took my 'grab & go' NextStar SE4 to the Lake District where I couldn't use WiFi/Android as it doesn't have this Evo' feature. As this was the first time I had moved a scope with StarSense far enough for 'location' to be an issue, it forced me to grab the Starsense manual to find out how to change this (via HC). Stood in freezing temperatures doesn't inspire one to read all to page 26 and find the 'menu tree' , but I did. Prior to this I had also been puzzled by a dozen other  irrelevant Evo'  issues (like flaky WiFi, or 'lock ups' caused by doing the alignment via Android then accidently touching a HC button). You perhaps need to get away from such confusing WiFi bewilderment to work this out.

I would advise all (new) Evo' owners to make their initial 'settings' via HC. Then until they have it spot on, and understand the criticality of time/date & location & calibration; don't attempt to use a tablet. Fortunately, I was in the Lake District the weekend DST changed, else I might not have so quickly worked out why all my GOTO objects were 15 degrees west! 

Now it all works - fantastic. I pop my Evo' tripod on three marks on my patio; check location (via menu). Press Auto Align,  enter date/time; then head off to put the kettle on. Then I wow my pals when I click solarsystem/jupiter and it's smack in the middle of my Televue 8mm Delos. On reflection, my Android/Sky Portal and WiFi has become redundant other than as a star chart. I think it's more fun that way too, and the risk of stepping on my expensive Android is eliminated.  Stargazing shouldn't need three hands, and accurately swiping a tablet slew button with a finger having one eye down an EP is as difficult as a circus trick can get. I reckon Evo'  WiFi is unnecessary, as I use SkyPortal offline. BTW, I now fasten the HC cradle to the upright grab handle rather than tripod leg. No cord wrap from HC or battery = Evo' bliss. Hence the confidence to leave it and make tea.

Well fella, after setting the location in the Handset Control, using the tablet worked first time!!!  I cannot believe the setup ignores the GPS from the tablet when aligning via tablet wifi!  How stupid can the developers of this system be???? And when you're paying 1.5 grand on a top end scope, you expect a manual that actually tells you the right instructions.... 

But now it's working fine.  And I have just had a great evening playing with the Skyportal app controlling the scope perfectly.  Access Point mode worked fine all night. 

Have to say, I think you should have another go using the Skyportal app.  It's way more than a star chart, and you don't have to go scrolling through the handset menus finding stars!  Just browse the skies, or better still, browse the 'best of tonight'.  Press info, press the audio button and have the narration talk you through the star's properties and of course, just tap GoTo and you're looking at it.  It's like being back at the Planetarium :)  

Thanks again for the heads up; hopefully this thread will help out any other unfortunates going through the same issues.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian, agree with all you say, and I am so glad it is now working for you via Android/WiFi. But for now, I think I will probably continue to depend on the StarSense HC (which has proved 100% reliable for me) and use SkyPortal for Android (WiFi) as merely an off-line guide (with audio etc.) to the skies. 

But can we touch base again in here in perhaps a month and compare notes when you have enjoyed a sustained period of trouble free WiFi/Android control of your Evolution? I think that we can be of great assistance to the community of Evo' owners, albeit testing Starsense control for the Evo'  from opposite sides. This topic has filled many forum threads since 2014.

I am not suggesting that the  'access point' approach to fixing WiFi connectivity issues isn't a perfect solution in many circumstances, but I have encountered some  unexplained wild slews when under Android/WiFi control even when the 'location' etc. is prior set correctly in both the HC and Android and I simply don't know why. I fear this issue could be beyond Starsense failing to pick up 'location' from the tablet. Here I stress to other interested readers, Starsense via the HC on my Evo or SE 4 is just awesome. I have heard its good when hard wired to the HC. It's when under WiFi/ Sky Portal that makes me a little nervous.

The lack of tactile feedback obviously isn't helpful on a tablet and I am a bit fearful that if the WiFi did fail, then I might lose control. I also have a CCTV system that uses 'access point' connectivity to my home network that I can then monitor remotely on any Internet connected device, but that too quite regularly 'drops out' on my Android but strangely, never on my Windows laptop. Here I warn any prospective burglars that it is still recording to disc and that is beaming shots to a central station. But what if I had the same loss of control with my OTA? Let me expand on that...

Sky Portal (off-line) once told me; having correctly set its time/date & location in my Android device; that the Andromeda Galaxy was one of 'Tonight's Best'. My HC time/date/ location was set correctly too. But when I tried to GoTo using the HC it rightly warned me "will exceed slew limits". I am hence nervous about attempting this equivalent GoTo when under solely Android control. How can an object be in both "Tonight's Best" and yet "beyond slew limits'?  

Frankly, there is probably zero concern about any of the above, and one hopes the Android (like the HC) would similarly warn about exceeding slew limitation too. But the fact that it won't reliably determine 'location'' from the Android even when its GPS is live doesn't inspire me with confidence. Indeed  I wonder how reliable Sky Portal is as regards any objects very close to the artificial horizon, which is depicted on my Android screen as a mountainous background (errr....what mountains in Essex!!!!)?  Maybe I am being over cautious, but I don't want to risk watching a monster 1lb Televue EP smash into my mount and damage my OTA. 

In summary, enjoy Android WiFi control, but I suggest you don't stray too far from the telescope on/off button until 100% confident. It would hence be good to get your feedback that all is well after a few more sessions. But it does seem odd that Celestron are not placing far more emphasis on 'access point' connectivity as a primary solution. There is no mention under "WiiFi tips and only trivial mention in the Evo manual. Be cautious using tablet/WiFi. But the Evo + Starsense using the HC is simply awesome.

22 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

.......shots to a central station. But what if I had the same loss of control with my OTA? Let me expand on that...

Sky Portal (off-line) once told me; having correctly set its time/date & location in my Android device; that the Andromeda Galaxy was one of 'Tonight's Best'. My HC time/date/ location was set correctly too. But when I tried to GoTo using the HC it rightly warned me "will exceed slew limits". I am hence nervous about attempting this equivalent GoTo when under solely Android control. How can an object be in both "Tonight's Best" and yet "beyond slew limits'?  

Frankly, there is probably zero concern about any of the above, and one hopes the Android (like the HC) would similarly warn about exceeding slew limitation too. But the fact that it won't reliably determine 'location'' from the Android even when its GPS is live doesn't inspire me with confidence. Indeed  I wonder how reliable Sky Portal is as regards any objects very close to the artificial horizon, which is depicted on my Android screen as a mountainous background (errr....what mountains in Essex!!!!)?  Maybe I am being over cautious, but I don't want to risk watching a monster 1lb Televue EP smash into my mount and damage my OTA.

Evening again

Well, I'm writing this after all day in glorious clear sunshine, but now waiting for the clouds and slight rain that appeared at 9.15 to clear up :(

Couple of points.  Understand your concern on wild slewing. I'm never more than a few feet from the scope now.  That said, I had another perfect night of viewing last night; telescope never once lost control in 90 minutes.

Your tablet may have 'haptic feedback' switched off.  My directional arrows do give me feedback when I touch them.

As for 'tonight's best', I think this is a one-size fits all list, that depending on your location may include objects that are still below the horizon.  I always check the altitude and rise time before I click on them.  Objects may not rising until later in the night.

And I have adjusted the main tube so it can point up to the zenith without the eye piece touching the base.  I did this after the app was trying to turn my scope upside down before the GPS on the handset had been set.  So as the eyepiece cannot hit the base, so I can relax a little more.  Obviously this set up means the front of the OTA would hit the base if it slewed down, but as the OTA should never go below the horizon, you can move quickly to stop this if it starts to do that.

Finally, the horizon on the app is one of three 'views'.  It defaults to Ularu (aka Ayers Rock in Oz); the other two options are a city scape or the top of Mouna Kea in Hawaii.  Unbelievably, the mountains, buildings or the observatories on all three views actually block the view and names of low-level stars.  They actually wrote the app so their fake horizon views take priority over the stars, and have no option to have a simple flat horizon.  So if you have perfect horizon views, but they have a picture of a building or a mountain, you can't see the star or goto it.  So I'll say it again, how stupid are the developers that wrote this app? 

Righto; of to hunt clear skies. Will report back in a few days / weeks, but for now the wifi is working fine. 

Happy Transitting tomorrow

Ian

• 7 months later...

Going to try re.aligning my eco 8 tonight as although sky portal saying it is connecting to telescope it only sends scope in a spin as above. To enter GPS via HC I think I'm right in saying it's in the menu option before align? Once up and running and aligned  is this the time to try and get sky portal linked to the telescope?

On 5/7/2016 at 23:29, noah4x4 said:

While testing my brand new Starsense with my 127mm Nexstar GoTo, I commanded it to find the Andromeda Galaxy (overhead) , and got that "will exceed slew limits"  message. I persisted, but the galaxy was outside the eyepiece FOV. Everything else I told it to find last night was in the FOV. Strange.

Starsense merely addresses initial alignment. Your subsequent GoTo's are limited by your mount and it's settings.  What has become apparent to me since my earlier post is that (my) SkyPortal or SkySafari are  set to a generic "Celestron WiFi" telescope. This obviously means any warnings about slew limits are set conservatively for the lowest common denominator of all compatible scopes in the Celestron range.  So although object XYZ might be amongst "tonight's best" it might be outside the slew limits of some scopes, but not for all. I can imagine the current position of M31 might exceed your unique user defined (or default)  slew limits. But using HC directional controls, (easier than with tablet)  you would be wise to learn what those limits are for various EP's and devices.

Example; what I have also discovered since my earlier post is that my Evolution mount has a neat scooped out channel (that can hold spare EPs) in the top of the mount base, which allows enough clearance for me to go right to the Zenith even with a large Televue Delos 8mm EP. But I could not do that with my more limited  Nexstar SE4. So do push the envelope,  Just take care if you ignore such warnings.

But what you describe is routine good accuracy, but inaccuracy when near to the zenith.  I have read about this in other forums, but have never suffered myself. I attribute this to having added ten additional alignment points ( via Starsense) in ten different constellations that appear to chase each other most evenings/seasons. I gather this is a bit like SYNC function which improves accuracy around a particular alignment star. The joy here is you can add ten, and Starsense remembers all. One close to the Zenith will assist.

One other thought,  in my light polluted urban location I often struggle to make out anything other than a bit of circular hazy glare from the Andromeda Galaxy's central core. Also don't underestimate it's size. If using too powerful magnification it could be that you can't see it's elongated shape because all is outside your FOV in EVERY direction. It took me ages to discover the joys of using 32mm and 40mm EP'S.  I will never forget telling Starsense/GoTo  to find the Orion Nebula; then wondering where it was, before discovering that was simply because in my scope I could fill it's aperture with just the four central stars of the Trapesium. I had to drop from 200x to around 64x to fit it all in and even then it's two extending arms were outside the FOV.

Edited by noah4x4
Correction
  • Like 1

well have to say i can have things one of each way - either i use starsense and its bang on the money (although I think i have collimation issues, see my other thead about Jupiter collimation blues) but skyportal will not work; or I align using skyportal which works but then whats the point of starsense?

I've tried lots of different avenues but to no avail sadly. Unless someone can tell me as foolproof way for them to work together I think I'll be sticking to the handset and sc, although grrrr, I do like the visual look and feel of skyportal...

15 hours ago, gtis said:

Hi it was my understanding that celestron had resolved this

sorry if I am wrong

I assume you are referring to the Evolution's widely publicised (original) WiFi woes?  My understanding is that gen2 versions have an improved more powerful antenna. However, a few retailers are still getting rid of their old stocks of gen1. You are likely to have a gen1 if the supplied Nexstar + HC has an older RS232 port. Later versions tend to have a mini USB output.

But if you do have a gen1, don't despair. I spent six months struggling to keep my Android tablet connected to mine.  I  followed all the guidance, like "forget" your home network. I still couldn't stay connected for long. I concluded that my urban "Wi-Fi clutter" was too great. So I gave up, switched to HC and simply used SkyPortal/SkySafari OFF-LINE.  It was a good move in one respect as the best way to learn about your scope is by using the HC. 

However, I then discovered that buried deep in my tablet amongst the packaged rubbish loaded by my Telecoms supplier was a 'Battery saving'  APP that turned off other APPS after n minutes of IN-activity. This was disconnecting SkyPortal/SkySafari  after about five minutes of looking through an EP. Of course, I stayed connected for longer if I did something else (like an adjusting slew or sought information etc). Since I deleted that APP, I have lost connection only once!  I have spoken to both Celestron and Simulation Curriculum about this and neither had considered this possibility. But are about to include this guidance within future packaging. There are dozens of these nuisance APPS,  none are native to IOS or Android 'Lollipop'.  They tend to be buried pretty deep, so can be hard to find and disable.

This isn't to say that "WiFi clutter" isn't a problem, simply that in a good many cases this isn't the problem. As I said my Evo now works perfectly with my Android tablet and despite cursing Celestron for six months the issues were not of their making.

Edited by noah4x4
Spelling

My first 'scope actually SLT130 - as a package it included original Celestron SkyQ wifi adapter.

The software (the original s/w) and hardware worked perfectly over WiFi; as long as I was no more then 6' away.

SkyPortal came later, and was a great improvement being based on V4 of SkySafari, and was superb with the SkyQ adapter - as long as I was less than 6' away.

One thing to bear in mind is that the app and the hand controller do not share data - so, if you use the app to align, use it to do your gotos. Ditto if you align with the handset, otherwise you could be off centre.

On 23.12.2016 at 15:10, iapa said:

One thing to bear in mind is that the app and the hand controller do not share data - so, if you use the app to align, use it to do your gotos. Ditto if you align with the handset, otherwise you could be off centre.

According to Celestron, the app and the StarSense autoalign do work together now:

"

SkyPortal version 1.5 is NOW AVAILABLE for Android.

StarSense automatic alignment support added. Now connects to a Celestron telescope equipped with the StarSense AutoAlign accessory (sold separately).
Telescope control with StarSense, app automatically aligns the telescope with a single tap!
Supports StarSense EQ, Alt-Az, and Wedge align, and StarSense manual align.

"

Unfortunately, after I downloaded and installed the latest version of the SkyPortal app on my Samsung Note 10 (Android 4.3), I get an error message right after the start screen, which says that "Unfortunately, SkyPortal has stopped". Nothing else...

CS,

Pat

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 06:51, Pat Warborg said:

According to Celestron, the app and the StarSense autoalign do work together now:

"

SkyPortal version 1.5 is NOW AVAILABLE for Android.

StarSense automatic alignment support added. Now connects to a Celestron telescope equipped with the StarSense AutoAlign accessory (sold separately).
Telescope control with StarSense, app automatically aligns the telescope with a single tap!
Supports StarSense EQ, Alt-Az, and Wedge align, and StarSense manual align.

"

Unfortunately, after I downloaded and installed the latest version of the SkyPortal app on my Samsung Note 10 (Android 4.3), I get an error message right after the start screen, which says that "Unfortunately, SkyPortal has stopped". Nothing else...

CS,

Pat

Works fine for me. But SkyPortal can be a bit fussy. So try SkySafari for Android. Same software producer, but much better than the free SkyPortal. The budget 'plus' version is excellent. No need to spend ££££'s on the 'pro' version that adds many more objects but you do need a big scope to benefit.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Old thread, but I'm having this exact same problem and haven't been able to resolve it. I'm actually in California, so any of those default settings would have even worked for me ;)

I have a StarSense now, but prior to that:

1) Set up scope with SkyPortal, did "three bright object" alignment, worked well!

2) Next night... tried Align via app, and it kept saying I was too far from the selected star (didn't know why it was even trying to align on a named star?)

3) Set up HC... HC worked great. Alignment, Goto, all worked.

4) Connect'd with SkyPort, said "Goto Sirius" -- and it went in a totally different direction.

Tried reinstalling app, clearing cache, etc. Confirmed the App had my time and lat/lon fine. Confirmed that the HC also had the correct lat/lon.

Well, heard about StarSense and couldn't help myself.

StarSense working well (though I could use some practice with reference points and another calibration)... but, connecting with the App resulted in the same problem. Confirmed time, lat/lon, confirmed that the app had StarSense selected in the telescope settings. Hit "Goto Sirius" and it... went in the opposite direction.

Any pointers? Thanks!

Josh