Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 2/5/16 in steady sky

mikeDnight

I was a bit tired and almost didn't bother this evening, but was so glad I did. The seeing, though not perfect, was steady and the cloud belts on Jupiter were well defined and vibrant. The binoviewer  makes seeing the more intricate detail so much easier than a mono view, and after completing my sketch I just watched as the planet rotated. The view was spectacular and the sketch doesn't really do it justice.

I imaged my drawing under artificial light so it's a bit dull, but it gives an idea of what was seen.

Mike ☺

2016-05-02 23.24.27.jpg

Lovely sketch as always Mike, and I can understand from experience myself that a sketch, no matter how fantastic can capture all the detail seen during those steady moments through a high quality refractor. It's difficult to know where to start sometimes. And yet you manage to pull out a sketch like that, doesn't look dull at all to me.

BTW out of interest what Binoviewers do you use? I have never used any but am starting to get curious..(that's never a good sign for your wallet) :icon_biggrin:

Tony.

7 hours ago, t0nedude said:

Lovely sketch as always Mike, and I can understand from experience myself that a sketch, no matter how fantastic can capture all the detail seen during those steady moments through a high quality refractor. It's difficult to know where to start sometimes. And yet you manage to pull out a sketch like that, doesn't look dull at all to me.

BTW out of interest what Binoviewers do you use? I have never used any but am starting to get curious..(that's never a good sign for your wallet) :icon_biggrin:

Tony.

Hi Tony,

I use a revelation binoviewer  with a x2 Barlow screwed to its nosepiece. I've used this binoviewer for the past four years. The great thing about  binoviewers, apart from the 3D view, especially on the moon, is that you don't need expensive eyepieces. Good but not expensive ortho's or plossl's are all thats needed. So for the price of one high end eyepiece you can get the complete bino set-up. I love Pentax XW's, but even the legendary 5mm XW can't show detail as easily on the moon or planets as a cheap BV and 16.8mm orthoscopics. Double stars are also amazing in the binoviewer but on a small scope like mine DSO's are best seen using a mono view with a quality wide field eyepiece.

Mike ☺

12 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Tony,

I use a revelation binoviewer  with a x2 Barlow screwed to its nosepiece. I've used this binoviewer for the past four years. The great thing about  binoviewers, apart from the 3D view, especially on the moon, is that you don't need expensive eyepieces. Good but not expensive ortho's or plossl's are all thats needed. So for the price of one high end eyepiece you can get the complete bino set-up. I love Pentax XW's, but even the legendary 5mm XW can't show detail as easily on the moon or planets as a cheap BV and 16.8mm orthoscopics. Double stars are also amazing in the binoviewer but on a small scope like mine DSO's are best seen using a mono view with a quality wide field eyepiece.

Mike ☺

Thanks Mike, interesting...

Archived