NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY solar filter

gtis

I am going to make a solar filter for the up coming Mercury transit ,but I don't know which solar film to use ,Baader solar film or Seymour solar film ,can't afford a PST

Take good care while watching the sun it's dangerous for the eyes and for the scope (if a procedure is not respected has you know).

The mechanic memory of night can cause prejudice when watching the sun. Has an example for me: at night, after an observation with my newton telescope on an equatorial mount, I remove the accessories out from the scope before I put the instrument back to default position, pointing Polaris. I did exactly the same thing after a sun observation, with the telescope still pointing the sun, I removed the baader filter. The sun melted the protective plastic cap on the focuser generating black smoke inside my instrument.

My mirrors could have been destroyed also, or my eye.

--> Huge procedure error for me...

Could be something else too, bottom line, it's really dangerous, the damages can be done really fast.

Archived