Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Calibration Frames

Herzy

The last few nights I've wasted. :( Although I took maybe 40-70 lights, I didnt take any calibration frames. I'm going to explain my procedure and please tell me if I'm doing it right.

Darks: Put lens cap on telescope and take pictures that are the same exposure and ISO as my lights. Take them directly after taking lights.

Flats: During daylight place a white t-shirt over telescope. Take pictures at the same exposure and ISO as my lights.

Bias: Same as darks but at the shortest exposure time my camera can do. Same ISO as lights.

Darks: Put lens cap on telescope and take pictures that are the same exposure and ISO as my lights. Take them directly after taking lights.

Be careful. This won't work on a Newt which has a light-leaky optical tube. Ideally darks should be done with the camera fully blacked out but lens cappiing a refractor might be OK.

Flats: During daylight place a white t-shirt over telescope. Take pictures at the same exposure and ISO as my lights.

Again, on a Newt you' may get light leakage in the daytime. Take you flats at short exposures which put the histogram peak about a third of the way to the right.

Bias: Same as darks but at the shortest exposure time my camera can do. Same ISO as lights.

Yes. Also use bias as dark frames to subtract from your flats.

Olly

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Again, on a Newt you' may get light leakage in the daytime. Take you flats at short exposures which put the histogram peak about a third of the way to the right.

Olly

Do you have any advice for t-shirt flats?

I'm using a skywatcher 200p with an atik 383l. When I tried taking flats, even at 1 second, they were completely washed out.

Archived