NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon Filter

After nearly being blinded the other night whilst looking at the moon. I now require a moon filter in 2" for my CPC800.

I've been looking at these two:

Please advise on which you would sooner have to reduce the glare of the moon.
Thanks
my CPC800(2") that will reduce the glare of the moon.

Can you advise please.

You won't be able to get much good detail out of the Moon during, or near, totality. Best to wait until there is a sharp division between the lit-unlit sections of the Moon. This line of demarcation between light & dark is known as the 'Terminator.' Along this Terminator we can see, with our scopes and binoculars, the most fascinating play of ever-changing terrain dancing in the shadows. And filters can heighten these inspiring vistas further still!

A variable-polarizing filter (2-piece) are an excellent choice. Others find a neutral-density filter sufficient. Or you can go further tech and look into such as a Baader Moon & Skyglow Neodymium-Filter, which has many other applications as well:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html

Have fun!

Dave

22 minutes ago, laudropb said:

I would go for the polarising filter. It will enable you to adjust the brightness to suit.

Can you explain how this variable one works please? (keep it simple as I'm a newbie!!)

I've been getting along okay with the Baader Neutral Density Filter. I didn't like it at first as it seemed to dim the moon too much, the Neodymium did a better job of maintaining a bit of the brightness without being blinding. This idea fell flat on its face when I tried to read a moon map at the same time, I was still a bit blinded for a few moments with the Neodymium but could flick between eyepiece and map without any delay with the Neutral Density.

I bought a used Baader Moon & Skyglow Neodymium Filter and used it for the first time two days ago.

All I can say is "Wow", why didn't I buy one ages ago.

It made looking at a bright moon so much more comfortable as well as cutting the light pollution into the bargain.

Hi Pete, they are just two (polarising) lenses that screw together, turn them one way or the other and the view darkens or lightens as you desire, can be a bit of a pain getting them just right, which is why I prefer the fixed density - you know what you are getting every time.  I would suggest a 25% density for camera work but 13% for visual.  But as otheres say, with the variable you get to chose.

Archived