NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skywatcher 150p what's next?

Hi Folks,

Back again after receiving some great advice on EPs. This sight is great btw, love reading the other threads, really helpful.

OK, so I have a Skywatcher 150p on an eq3/2 mount, it's been fantastic, I've owned it for around 3 years now, enjoy looking at DSOs and the odd planet now and then. I'm thinking of upgrading but what to?

I've toyed with the idea of adobsonian,  but I feel that an attempt at some astrophotography may be something I'd like to try so I guess that rules that out?

It seems the natural progression would be a 200p on an eq5  ?  

Are there any alternatives that you could suggest. With selling my 150 and some savings I could probably raise 450, so looking at the used market.

Looking forward to your thoughts 

Clear skies

Simon  

If you want to have a go at astrophotography with a Newtonian just check that the one you choose is capable of achieving focus with a camera.  For example, I use the 130 P-DS which is specifically designed for this purpose.

The mount you have can be outfitted with a drive rather simply to track objects. As such, it would be fine for astro-photography purposes. In fact it, and the 130p scope, are very common choices among members here who so employ it. With some wonderful results! Your 150p should be just fine - if you do as suggested above. And a few other minor details that I'll leave others to come up with. It's always something..... :D

So it appears you've already got most of the goods you'll need for that. Except a suitable camera. Video is another possibility.

For just visual uses, you could then save for a good Dobsonian light-bucket if you wish for DSO's and more of them. Maybe a 250mm even..... It sort of seems a shame to only jump to 200mm from 150mm for visual.

My 2¢ -

Dave

For AP the aperture does not matter so much but the mount is critical. The EQ5 will struggle with the 200p for astro, as it's pretty much on the limit of what that mount can handle for visual (I've used that setup and it does wobble, though it's manageable).

It might be worth asking why you want another scope - what's it for? I don't think there is any point trying to combine AP and visual in the same kit, given what you already have - you would end up with a smaller scope on a bigger mount and actually go backwards for visual. My own thought would be either:

Something like an 80mm short tube ED or 130mm Newt on an EQ5; or

That Dob you've been thinking about - 10 or 12 inches instead of 8.

The first of those is good for visual or AP - but it's not what I'd go for.

Billy.

If you already have a dslr put that straight on your eq3-2 (take the telescope off) with a lens fit a motor to your mount and get imaging, quick start using what you have while you decide where you want to go. You don't need a light bucket for imaging I see fantastic images posted from 71mm refractors.

Hi Folks, Thanks for the input, really helpful. I just want to clarify Photography is only a thought, I mostly just observe and wanted a scope that would give me better DSO views, I get the suggestion for bigger Aperture but it comes down to the readies :-) 

Maybe I'll go for fitting a drive to the eq3, keep the 150 for photos and go for a second hand dob?

11 hours ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi Folks, Thanks for the input, really helpful. I just want to clarify Photography is only a thought, I mostly just observe and wanted a scope that would give me better DSO views, I get the suggestion for bigger Aperture but it comes down to the readies :-) 

Maybe I'll go for fitting a drive to the eq3, keep the 150 for photos and go for a second hand dob?

Second-hand is a very good option. Especially in the world of astronomy. Us astro-nuts tend to be quite meticulous in our upkeep of our optics. So second-hand goodies from us tend to be 'like-new' more often than not. And the prices tend to show this as 2nd.-hand maintains a rather high re-sale value. Just saying so you don't have a shock!

Once in a 'green-Moon' you'll find a true bargain - usually from something unfortunate like a family crisis or an estate-sale.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for theinput. You're absolutely right, my 150p was second hand when I got it ( although the mount was new) I've had it 3 years still looks like new!

I think I'm going to probably hold on to the 150 and keep stowing the pennies away for a decentDob.

One last thing, just how much of a difference does the 200 have on the 150, I know the focal length is greater on the dob, not sure about the 200p.

Thanks again

Simon   

Archived