NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter tonight - 19th April

Size9Hex

Just a quick post. Jupiter looking nice at the mo. Great Red Spot on show, with another smaller dot trailing it... maybe...? Can anyone else see it? Io looking distinctly yellow in the twilight sky too :-)

I cannot see the red dot for some reason but definitely seems to be some disturbance of some kind in the northern equatorial belt. I just checked stellarium and that is showing no red spot at the moment. I find this odd because according to the following site it should be on show

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/

Current time is 22.06 20/04/16

Been looking for it since 21.10 and no sign of it.

I just checked stellarium and that is showing no red spot at the moment. I find this odd because according to the following site it should be on show http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/ Current time is 22.06 20/04/16 Been 

I don't think the red spot is synced to real time on Stellarium.  I did ask one of the developers once if it was, and I didn't understand his technical reply, but basically the answer wasn't a YES.  

I use other web information and have re-checked Stellarium and it definitely wasn't saying the same thing and the GRS was where it said it was according to other web data.

Carole

Sorry I should have put the date on the thread title, posted last night 19th April. Incidentally one of the images on the forum from last night (link below) captured the region I saw trailing the GRS. I didn't get much a view of it before it was lost to the planets rotation, but it looks like it was an alignment of darkish clouds (quite unlike anything I've seen before on Jupiter, albeit only with a dozen or so sessions under my belt), but not the smaller spot that I wondered about.

Archived