Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 family portrait

Mike Hawtin

Taken through a C6 Hyperstar with an Atik428EX and Baader filters this is a two panel L HaRGB image, each panel is 35 L, 15 R, 12 G, 13 B and 12 Ha all at 300 sec duration for a total integration time of 14.5 hours.  Conditions were pretty poor for the Red and Blue channels which gave me problems with magenta halo's around the stars and also with making a decent DBE model for the backgrounds.  Anyway here it is along with an annotated Lum image for interest, thanks for looking.

Mike

M81 family portrait extracted L annotated.png

M81 family portrait LRHaGB.png

Great image. Getting the DBE parameters right must be a challenge due to the IFN. One technique I have seen used on occasion is to make the DBE samples large but few and just ignore if they cover stars. It seems that the DBE models ignore stars in the samples. Anyway, I think you did very well on this image.

Thanks Wim, actually I did use only five or six DBE samples on the green and Luminance stacks, it was the red and blue which gave me the most trouble, I think I must have had some thin cloud interference which caused uneven colour casts and gave me horrible gradients.

Thanks again.

Mike

Archived