NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Diagonals on or off?

I have always left my diagonal and an eyepiece on my SCT when I store it after use.    It just seems like a convenient way of keeping the tube sealed and avoids just one more thing to take apart and put back together each time.

However, it seems some people at least always remove the diagonal after use (and presumably put a stopper in the socket) and I am wondering if I really ought to be doing this and if so why.

Any views?

It doesn't really matter so long as the scope is stored safe. If I take a diagonal off I make sure the visual back is plugged with a stopper and the diag goes in a padded case with it's end caps on. Or I leave the diagonal in the scope duly capped. I might open everything up after a moist session to let it all dry out before capping and storing. :)

Thanks for all the replies.   I see it can make sense to take them off if you have more than one scope or for storage in a damp place.    But from the replies it seems I am safe carrying on as I am, leaving the diagonal on, storing it inside and like Brantuk letting things have a few minutes drying time in the warmth after use.

This is a small relief as I am building a carry case for my tube and have designed in room for the focal reducer and diagonal - I am determined to have a go in darker skies even though my kit is not the most portable.

I will probably buy a 2 inch diagonal and at least one 2 inch eyepiece later this year and will give some thought about storage if I end up wanting to use both diagonals for any reason.  

Archived