Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zhumell UK ??

Hi all, i am in the midst's of deciding to purchase a light bucket and although i am really interested in the GSO based Revelation here in the UK i do prefer the aesthetics and sale extras of the Zhumell Z12 equivalent GSO over tin the USA, however !!

Purchasing this model is proving to be a problem, i have emailed Zhumell two times now with no reply asking about shipping as they dont offer it on the site and i cant for the life of me find a UK dealer.

Any ideas folks ?

Mucho appreciated.

Lee.

As far as I'm aware, Zhumell scopes are made by GSO and they are the same in all but some details as the Revelation dobsonians sold in the UK or the Telescope Services (TS) dobsonians in Germany.

I doubt if Zhumell in the USA would ship here to a private buyer - the costs would be prohibitive I'd have thought. Plus it would be undermining the GSO partners here who sell the Revelation branded scopes.

The scope is marketed in the UK under a different brand name. Our SGL experts who know 'who's who' will provide more and better info soon, I'm sure.

One thing you should bear in mind if you import the Zhumell is the extra costs you will incur apart from shipping. i.e. duty, and tax. Can be quite surprising - well, that's a nice way to put it ...

Thanks guys, as my first post said i am fully aware they are the USA branded GSO product, i do however love the black appearance and would seriously consider the extra tax etc....i recently purchased a GSO focuser upgrade for my 150p from the USA and i think the tax man missed me as i wasnt charged...was a nifty little purchase lol

Whats more annoying is Zhumell arent returning my mails ?

When I took delivery of my 12" Revelation dob just over a year ago, it didn't come with any instructions for assembly.  But I downloaded those for the US Zhumell equivalent and found it to be very nearly identical.  Aesthetics may have been slightly different, but so far the most impressive views have been through the eyepiece in the dark rather than at it in the day!

I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you bought Zhumell or Revelation.  And without tempting you too much, you could get hold of a Revelation in a few days!!

Paul

1 minute ago, FenlandPaul said:

so far the most impressive views have been through the eyepiece in the dark rather than at it in the day!

Paul

Lol thanks Paul, but as the great British weather controls its use, of late i have only sat and looked at mine in the day anyhow so would rather see a black one then white ;)

4 minutes ago, LeeRich said:

....Whats more annoying is Zhumell arent returning my mails ?

A good reason not to throw more money into the same product I'd have thought ?

Even if you could get one sent, if the scope gets damaged in transit or has a fault then I doubt the service would at all helpful.

Many of these USA based vendors simply won't ship to the UK or Europe because of trading deals with vendors on this side of the pont. Meade and Celestron adopt this policy.

Perhaps buy a Revelation and get it professionally sprayed black ? - probably less expensive than the import duties and lower risk.

4 minutes ago, John said:

Perhaps buy a Revelation and get it professionally sprayed black ? - probably less expensive than the import duties and lower risk.

I did think of that option too John, as i used to be a car painter and still have my gear, or i could carbon wrap it i suppose like my 150p ? its all just extra work though and a big lump to do.....ah....if only things were easy lol

Thanks all the same though guys, was just hoping one of you lot knew somewhere i missed !

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Have you considered Orion USA telescope from scs astro who are UK based..

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-skyquest-xt10-classic.htm

They do a range of dobs that are black, and I think a synta product (could be wrong)..

Ta

Fozzie 

Thanks Fozzie, i have checked out Orion USA and they are already extra cost due to that fact that as a Synta product they are shipped to the USA first then shipped to the UK, as Skywatcher have the market for direct shipping from Synta to the UK hence SW been cheaper for the same product.

If they did the 12" version of their SkyQuest XT8 Plus i would consider it as an alternative to  black :) 

You could write, or call, dealers here in the US. And ask them if they'd be willing to do a special order for a Zhumell, and then ship it to you in the UK, VAT & all. So you can ask. There are two US-based dealers that I think would be your best bet - AgenaAstro in Los Angeles & OPT also out of the LA-area. They both do ship international so they'd know how to do it. So you can ask if they'd accept delivery from the seller in the US, and then turn it around and ship to you. Here's the links:

http://agenaastro.com/

and

https://www.optcorp.com/

And the dealer in the US for Zhumell:

http://www.telescopes.com/

These Zhumell Dobsonians' are difficult to find here. I've only found this dealer, and they are often backordered. They're also quite popular - and they are the best deal for the money, including a very attractive package of extras like an 8 X 50mm RACI-finder and even a laser-collimator!

So if these 2 outfits won't/can't do this for you, drop me a message here in the forums - and I'll give you some other places to try.

Happy hunting -

Dave

Thanks Dave.

I actually got my GSO focuser from Agena Astro, they were super helpful and delivery was like faster then some UK based deliveries i have had only a few mile down the road from me lol

Unfortunately John hit the nail on the head regarding support !! if i did get one across the pond its a pain getting it back if there is an issue......not too bad if there was a UK dealer but again, Revelation

would kick up a stink there as mentioned also.

Thanks again Dave but i am now looking into getting the old devilbiss out and doing a custom paint job ;) i plan to make an EQ wedged rocker too so i will keep you all posted on this if its the direction i go.

Cheers, Lee.

Not that much can go wrong with a Dob, but I hear what you say - i'd hesitate, too. My next suggestion was a custom paint-job, but you're already on it! :D

Have fun!

Dave

P.S. - Glad you found Agena. They're the best place over here. Especially noted for their free-postage here in the US. So many others send their kids through college for less $$$ than a typical postal charge!

Archived