NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

BAD Light Pollution

I just got my new AVX 6" Newtonian scope last night and I images the following.

•M36 •M37 •M38 •M45 •M42 •Double Cluster •Crab Nebula

These all turned out pretty good but I have a pretty serious problem... Light pollution. I was taking only 30 second exposures (ISO 800) yet the background looked orange. I got this mount hoping to get 2-3 minutes unguided but I can't even get 1 min without light pollution flooding the picture. Am I doing something wrong?

How orange? It can be surprising how much detail can come through after the light pollution has been processed out. I have the same problem from my garden, and I read a post (sorry cant remember who from) that said if you keep the histogram no more than 25/30% from the left you should be ok. I'm still at the bottom of a very steep learning curve though, so its all a bit trial and error!

Two problems:

1) I don't have a light pollution filter. (I could get one)

2) The C6-N is only capable of focusing a DSLR if it's used at prime focus so there is no room for a filter.

2 hours ago, Phil-lost! said:

How orange? It can be surprising how much detail can come through after the light pollution has been processed out. I have the same problem from my garden, and I read a post (sorry cant remember who from) that said if you keep the histogram no more than 25/30% from the left you should be ok. I'm still at the bottom of a very steep learning curve though, so its all a bit trial and error!

I'll try to post a picture but it's most likely from my neighbors porch light. It's very bright and in the worst possible placement.

3 hours ago, Herzy said:

I'll try to post a picture but it's most likely from my neighbors porch light. It's very bright and in the worst possible placement.

Can you put something between your scope and the neighbour's lite? Something that you can remove when finished.

Archived