Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LX200 USB to serial

Hello

I am at a standstill trying to connect a Meade LX200-R GPS goto telescope to my laptop.

I would also like to use the Meade AutoStar and Starry Night Pro 7 software.

My laptop is Windows 10 with USB3 ports.

I am using without success a USB-to-serial RS232 convertor which has a Prolific PL-2303 XA / HXA chipset.

Initially I had a Code 10 error message but after following the suppliers instructions I managed to load the driver manually.

However that's as far as I got as the laptop will not connect to the telescope, AutoStar or Starry Night.

So far the supplier of the cable/converter has not come up with an answer.

My feeling is that the above chipset and driver are not compatible with Windows 10....????????

Now I just hope someone on your forum is out there using a Windows 10 laptop and USB3 ports with the above telescope and software?

Hope you can help......please.....its driven me nuts today.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to SGL, I have a LX200R that I used to have connected occasionally to update the handbox, using Win XP Pro.

The cable I used was one supplied by Meade as there was a problem at the time using anything else, unfortunately I lent the cable to somebody and never saw it again.

You could try the LX200 GPS Yahoo forum, lot's of clued up guys on there, not many on here :)

Dave

Did you get the one on this page ?

http://www.meade.uk.com/Meade-Accessories.html

Prolific website is contradictory, unless I've misunderstood the info:

For PL2303 HXA, XA, HXD, EA, RA, SA, TA, TB versions)

Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 (32 & 64-bit) WDF WHQL Driver: v3.6.81.357 (09/04/2015) 
   - Windows 10  Certified WHQL Driver 
   - Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 Certified WHQL Driver 

Then further down the page:

• Windows 8/8.1/10 are NOT supported in PL-2303HXA and PL-2303X EOL chip versions.
  • Run PL2303 CheckChipVersion tool program in Windows XP/Vista/7 to check chip version.
  • Windows XP, 2000, 98 and Windows ME driver technical support is discontinued.
  • Prolific recommends to use PL-2303HXD (HX Rev D) or PL2303TA chip.

Good luck with that!

Michael

With Windows 10 driver problem, I have scrapped all my prolific cables and changed to FTDI. Originally I bought a cable to connect to Synscan hand controller, but then I discovered, and bought an EQ Direct  FTDI from Astronomiser.  Works no problem.

Archived