NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New SCOPE!

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if I could get your input on good starter scopes from the range £300 - (around) £500. I am mainly interested in observing DSO's but the occasional night viewing our neighbouring planets wouldn't go a miss.

I have looked around and found the 'Celestron 130 SLT Newtonian Reflector' to be of optimal standard but I am not entirely sure on what would be the best scope. I am a beginner and not really looking to be able to photograph the skies, I just want to learn my way around the skies.

I also like the idea of the GOTO mount.

Many thanks,

Rob 

If you're interested in DSOs, in the long term you really need to think about a larger aperture than 130mm. Personally I might look at an 8 inch (200mm) reflector on a Dobsonian mount (approx 250-300 pounds), together with a pair of 10x50 binoculars (50 - 75 pounds) to learn your way around the sky. This leaves a bit left over for eyepieces etc.

Go-to Dobsonians are available, although they will cost more than your budget. Another cheaper option is "push-to" linked to a screen (phone etc) which shows you where to point the scope.

1 hour ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

If you're interested in DSOs, in the long term you really need to think about a larger aperture than 130mm. Personally I might look at an 8 inch (200mm) reflector on a Dobsonian mount (approx 250-300 pounds), together with a pair of 10x50 binoculars (50 - 75 pounds) to learn your way around the sky. This leaves a bit left over for eyepieces etc.

Go-to Dobsonians are available, although they will cost more than your budget. Another cheaper option is "push-to" linked to a screen (phone etc) which shows you where to point the scope.

Okay thank you for your help @Putaendo Patrick

+2 for the reflector, and I agree that an 8" Newtonian on a Dobsonian mount would be the simplest and cheapest way to get into serious observing. Easy to set up (compared to an Equatorial mount), with an aperture large enough for a lot of DSO's.

Archived