NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 27th March

Knighty2112

The weather last night was blustery until around 10:30pm here, then it died down. The sky was clear when I stepped outside at 10pm, but with some hi altitude thin cloud scudding across, but got out my ST120 refractor to observe Jupiter none the less. Seeing was at level 3 at best until 10:30pm when the wind died down. Jupiter settled down very nicely after this (level 4+ at best), and I could push my scope to x200 and still get a decent view. Sadly, this was mostly always through the hi atlitude thin cloud, but even so I could see Jupiter and it mains belts and polar regions quite well.

I'm pretty sure that at this time the Jetstream was not over most of the UK at the time. All in all even though the views were filtered through hi altutitude thin clouds the views were pretty good. At least the steadiest that I've had for a while when observing any planets. During this time, with the thin cloud, Jupiter was the only object that was worth observing. Hope others got some good views of it too, or even better last night as well. 

Same experience over central Sweden yesterday. In my experience, the kind of hazy conditions you describe often seem to be associated with a calmer atmosphere, which gives relatively good seeing despite the haze and high altitude clouds. For visual observing Luna and planets this might not be a terrible obstacle, in fact I find this perfectly acceptable, given the kind of skies we are used to observe through.

5 minutes ago, Cinco Sauces said:

Same experience over central Sweden yesterday. In my experience, the kind of hazy conditions you describe often seem to be associated with a calmer atmosphere, which gives relatively good seeing despite the haze and high altitude clouds. For visual observing Luna and planets this might not be a terrible obstacle, in fact I find this perfectly acceptable, given the kind of skies we are used to observe through.

Yes, for lunar observations too sometimes a thin haze or cloud helps filter out some of the extra glare from the moon too so it makes it easier and better to view with the eye through the EP.

Nice report! :)  Even if the seeing was not perfect, it is always nice to go out for a quick look! You never know! 

If these clouds go away, I might go out for a quick session later! 

Archived